Bean's Double L 9' 592

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Luteaq

Bean's Double L 9' 592

Post by Luteaq »

I have what appears to be a LL Bean Double L rod, and am wondering if anybody can tell me something about the rod such as the date when made, is it a bamboo rod, etc.

When assembled the rod is 9'. It has 3 pieces, each 3' in length, with a second tip section.

I would say it is in Excellent condition. By the handle on the base is engraved in script "Beans Double L"

It came in a leather case with a cotton bag and wooden rod for support.

Included are several pictures of the rod.

This rod belonged to my wife's grandfather. Her father told her that when he was growing up he spent time fishing with his father on lakes in Maine. She thinks this would have been in the 1930s. Any help on identification would be appreciated.

hatch
Master Guide

Re: Bean's Double L 9' 592

Post by hatch »

The printing makes it look like an Edwards made rod? Bean's sold the leather case separately. Others will zero in on date but 30s looks about right.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I'm guessing Union Hardware, from the 1950's.

Luteaq

Post by Luteaq »

Thanks for the responses. I spoke with somebody yesterday from the Bean archives as I have several more rods similar to this one. She told me about the relationship Mr. Bean had with Edwards & Son and she thinks that the one I have here was purchased from Edwards and sold by Bean in the early 1930's.

Next question - can I get a reel and line and go fishing with this rod?

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Luteaq wrote:
02/17/22 12:18
Thanks for the responses. I spoke with somebody yesterday from the Bean archives as I have several more rods similar to this one. She told me about the relationship Mr. Bean had with Edwards & Son and she thinks that the one I have here was purchased from Edwards and sold by Bean in the early 1930's.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
02/17/22 13:23
Luteaq wrote:
02/17/22 12:18

hello, nice rod. luckily you can get reel and line and take it fishing. i recommend a hardy perfect reel, a line to fit the rod will take some experimenting. all you need to do is add money.
regards, jim w

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I have an Edwards built Shakespeare - 1312T and it looks except for the reel seat, to be nearly identical. From what I've gathered, Edwards made trade rods that were fairly well distributed. My rod has a nice crisp action and is well built and mid 1930's vintage.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Definitely a n Edwards.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It’s probably a 5, 6 or 7 wt. If it were mine I’d cast it without a reel using a few different lines. Once I knew what line I’d match a reel to it. If you are new to fly fishing then you can try to see if a fly ship can help you by providing demo lines. It’s a very nice rod and should be fished.

John

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

Luteaq -

The attached posting (with members replies) of a similar rod I picked up some years back may help in IDing your rod.
Consensus was it was a vintage Edwards build sold by LL Bean, having the same brown zippered leather case, identical 'Bean's Double L' script, with the slotted wooden tip holder to accommodate both tips. Mine is an 8 1/2 footer.

viewtopic.php?p=737370#p737370

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Is that an Edwards reel seat on the OP's rod?

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhcoffeebum »

That's a rod built by Gene I do believe. I have a couple of them
But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”