Delaminated Blue collar to new 6ft taper

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

GetnThere
Guide

Delaminated Blue collar to new 6ft taper

Post by GetnThere »

Has anyone delaminated an old 9foot blue collar rod into a 6foot rod and what taper would work for this? I don't have plane forms but would make wooden ones for just this taper. Thanks

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Delaminated Blue collar to new 6ft taper

Post by BigTJ »

Don’t do it. Sell the Heddon you have been messing with to somebody who can fix it or use the parts.

John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

I've fixed the Heddon. I have south bend rod with broken tip to use.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Gotcha sorry about that - should have asked.

Generally speaking, you'll get opinions that a banty out of a longer rod works great, but in my opinion, I don't like them. But then again, I am not a fan of short rods anyway. They made a bajillion South Bends anyway so it's not a big deal. Rather than planing it out just put some guides on the rod with taper, maybe 8 or so, and then wrap the butt with paper towel and making tape to form a grip, and try it out.

I don't think making wooden forms and re-planing the strips will be worth it. If you are keen to take on the project, you'll need to start with measuring the rod you have every 5" from the butt, then plot that up, and compare to the 6' tapers you find online. You'll need as least as much more more "meat" at every station to be able to plane it down to a given taper. Do a web search for 6' tapers online, or download RodDNA.

Good luck,

-John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

BigTJ, I've read about the banty rods and now that I have a few SB n Monty rods to fix, 9 footers, I don't think it will live up to my expectations, which are pretty high. It would work but not the "way" I would want it to. Using one and planning it down to a better taper would work. I'd save on cost and heat treatment and straighting of bamboo. That leaves me with delaminate and planing forms and first timer problems. I have an old graphite rod about 5 1/2 foot that actually worked pretty good and a fiberglass 7.6 rod where I only use the tip n middle sections fitted to a handle that worked better for me than the whole fiberglass rod. I don't like the handle flexing deal, as I don't have good control that way. My casting is below average, too much bass fishing over the last 45 years,lol.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Find a good taper and try it. Nothing to lose but time. If it were me and i had limited tooling, I would build a poor mans quad. I think a 7' rod casts better than the 6 and would be more versatile.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Oldschoolcane, I am pretty sure he doesn't have any raw bamboo and is only proposing to do this with an existing rod.

GetnThere, One of the problems with this is that when you make a new rod, you typically allow a few extra inches on either end for problems and there are always problems. Also, the rodmaker has extra strips for the same reason (bug bites, node defects, etc). Doing this with an existing rod allows for no mistakes and believe me if you have never made a rod, there will be mistakes. If you're interested in doing something to make a rod from raw bamboo and are willing to make your own forms, drop me a PM and I am willing to send you some strips to play with for the cost of postage. I will do some straightening and heat treat, but you might have to do some of this as well. This offer is only for you.

-Bill

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Canewrap PM sent I think.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

That is about the most generous offer I’ve seen in some time along with some great advice. Smart move to follow up.

John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Yes I have thanked him multiple times. Currently waiting on delivery. Will be making nodeless and or seminodeless. He has also been kind enough to connect me with someone that builds nodeless bb rods. I'm currently using tomato steaks for practice. It's has been helpful as bb seems to split however it wants certainly not perfectly straight. For all those considering bb rod build "just start". Use whatever bamboo you can find best training is in the doing. I've planned and read for too long. Thanks again Bill

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”