John Clancy 60/40 rod

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Zebko67

John Clancy 60/40 rod

Post by Zebko67 »

Does anyone have experience or familiarity with 60/40 bamboo rods made by John Clancy? I am interested in his quality and reputation as a builder. Specifically the 7 ‘ 9” 5 wt. rod. I have searched the net and the forum but could not find much. Apparently his web site is down and I have tried to message him. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

trland
Master Guide

Re: John Clancy 60/40 rod

Post by trland »

No experience, but I remembered something about a name change so I did a search: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=131844

Zebko67

Post by Zebko67 »

That is the website that John Clancy mentioned in his Classic Fly Rod Forum post (he is a member of the forum) when someone asked about his rods, several years ago. When I tried the website it appears to be inactive. I also tried to message him on the Forum, but no response.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Don't know anything about the web site. I have one of his Dickerson 8014 clones. It's very well made, finish is quite nice and it fishes great. I'll look and see if I have any more info.

JClancySplitCane

Post by JClancySplitCane »

Hello everyone,
My absence explained simply.
2019 moved to mt, then covid and A covered fan.
2020 much fishing and rod development.
2021-2022 1/2 -better half stage3 breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. Made rods, caregiver,and fished. Further rod refinement.
2022 1/2 -2023 -major depression.
2024 -In the #80’s of rods made. Continuing rod making.
I published a new website with some of my work.
Thank you, jc

https://jcsplitcane.wixsite.com/jcsplitcane
it wouldn’t be the same if you were here.jc

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hi John, I do not know you or your rods, but it looks like your absence from rod making has been pretty tough. Hope things turn around for you. The photos of your rods on your website look fantastic.

Glad you are back at making rods, good luck in 2024 and beyond.

Tight Lines!

Alex

JClancySplitCane

Post by JClancySplitCane »

thanks for the kind words alex. for me rod making, fly fishing and tying through these events have made all the difference in the world.jc
it wouldn’t be the same if you were here.jc

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”