Flea Bay Pricing?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Flea Bay Pricing?

Post by ozarkwater »

GetnThere wrote:
02/25/22 18:07
I brought a couple of blue collar rods for 25 to 35 seemed reasonable. However as I watching the prices they seem to be all over the place. Buy for 40 to 70 relist it for 200. I was trying to gauge where my rods would be after I refurbished them. Thus it's rather difficult to really tell. So I go to sites like Rick's to check. Anyone have any other ideas?
I browse Flea Bay and am also totally astounded by the pricing and the pictures that folks take! Sometimes you can do OK. Takes a ton of work though. If I want to sell, I sell. Likewise on buying. Am careful though. I do not buy top end anymore hardly and not from them. And I have my limits developed pretty much the way you do. If I lose a bit, not a big deal. I have kept track of things for about 5 years. Pretty much break even over the long haul.

Mostly go to the recommended dealers on our list here.

Placed a WTB just yesterday here with a request for pictures and prices. And have had several 1 post wonders who called me, "Bud", "Pal" etc, with a request that a friend has tons of items similar to what I wanted and that I needed to email them ASAP. Yeah, sure. Did get a valid response from a board member, with...several hundred posts. Done deal there, good.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

I was watching a rod that I thought was a little steep in price for the "starting bid". After the listing period ended with no bids, the seller relisted the rod for $10 more than the original listing.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

jeffkn1 wrote:
02/23/22 18:37
Joe

Many moons ago a search for bamboo rod would return an average of 150-200 rods, except on holidays. This morning, without any qualifiers in my search, the list was 2200 listings. When I added two qualifiers (used, and US only) it came down to 150 listings.
It's bad enough that pricing has gotten absurd but most of those sellers are using fixed prices, in which case the listing gets automatically relisted. Not only are we seeing crap week after week, it's the same crap half the time. Would I miss ebay if it went away and there was an alternative? T'ain't likely.
I have picked up some quality rods on the cheap on the bay. It is a good spot to find makers who made good rods and they were not at it long enough to aquire any "collectivity" value. I would hate to see it go away. I have picked up a Paul French, Rick Cunningham and Mark Edmonds rod for around 350 each. I thought those were good deals. Sorting through the crap from Japan is getting a bit much, I actually find humor in the guys who think everything 100 years old is worth 10k.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Just say "vintage" "highly collectable" "scarce" " "rare" then triple the price of the garbage you sell, instant profit while cleaning out your garage. BTW sold "as is", I don't know anything about bamboo fly rods but I can certainly put a high price tag on it.

Teresaqm

Post by Teresaqm »

It’s noteworthy that the Japanese listings show clearly that the seller doesn’t know the proper name for the items. The listing is typically written in “sounds like language” and makes no sense. Last year I took a chance on two reels, described as mint, turns out both had significant rash. I just filter my searches to exclude Japan.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Of course like several others, I view the listings to see what is being offered and am entertained by the notions that every rod made of bamboo is a priceless or at least highly valuable piece. This morning I note a #14 Heddon 9' with all sections complete full length w/ bag and tube. It is complemented with a great varnish meltdown and offered for the amazing price of only $499.99!
The ring guide Leonard 3/1 is only $1500.00 and is brimming with "patina".
Bottom line is that we visit of our own free will for whatever reasons and like crowded streams are somehow drawn back. I've been able to buy a few rods that were fairly priced and not all sellers live in a fantasy world.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I just passed on a Farlow Sapphire reel which went for about $60 with shipping.

The winner immediately listed it for $125.

wab

Post by wab »

Too bad flea bay isn't a real market

I would write an algo bot that buys all three of the same serial number rods at once before his algo can cancel the sales

Then I would own 1 serial #abc123 and the seller would be short 2 serial#abc123

Supply 1 Demand 3 = market deficit 2

That's how rods would trade $20k ! Kind of like the mania on tech stock evaluations 2021

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Blah blah blah, if you don’t like the place, don’t go there! They could care less about a handful of obsessive old fishing tackle collectors

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

ebay
ebay
ebay
ebay
ebay
Colorful place isn’t it?
People going about their business of being people.
ebay

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”