Ireland intel (where, what who, when) for 2022/2023 vacation

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Dano7175

Ireland intel (where, what who, when) for 2022/2023 vacation

Post by Dano7175 »

Hi all,
I know this topic has been discussed in the past but what I'm wondering about, where to plan a vacation in Ireland, given our climate change and Ireland closing salmon fishing. Are there any recommendations on locations to focus for brown trout and mostly small/medium size rivers to fish?

Here's what I know.,,,,not much (lol):
I'm retiring next summer at 63 and this is my once in a lifetime trip,
2-3 weeks vacation,
I want to hire a guide,
Small/medium size stream for browns, preferred to wade,
New bamboo rod and reel,
Purchased Rivers of Ireland by Peter O'Reilly,

I could use guidance on:
what rivers to focus on,
Recommended guides,
Where to stay (I'm of modest means so perhaps a B&B?).

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info on the web and thought I'd ask you guys and gals your thoughts/recommendations/guidance.

thank you

Simon.
Guide

Re: Ireland intel (where, what who, when) for 2022/2023 vacation

Post by Simon. »

The secret of Ireland is the geography. The centre of the island lies on limestone giving lots of chalk stream quality fishing. The shorter coastal rivers are the domain of the salmon and sea trout, the inland one hold the best browns.
Now, all of the above is a generalisation and there are exceptions of course. However it's a fair starting point. Have you any idea where you want to stay? Will you be hiring a car or looking for a single stop lodge type destination? Best time will probably be during the mayfly, mid to late May and on into June. If you're up for some boat fishing try Corrib, Mask, Arrow or Carra. If you only want rivers I would probably go to the Suir. Let me now when you have a time fixed in mind and I'll ask some friends.
Simon.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn’t work anyway.

tabrods406
Guide

Re: Ireland intel (where, what who, when) for 2022/2023 vacation

Post by tabrods406 »

My wife is heading to Ireland next month for a week and staying in B&Bs so i'm sure she will have some recommendations when she gets back. Please post when you're thinking of going - it would be helpful.

Tom

Return to “General discussion”