Recommended steelhead taper

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Rhillier

Recommended steelhead taper

Post by Rhillier »

Greetings: I’m a new member looking for advice on a recommended taper for a single-hand steelhead rod. I’ll use this rod primarily on the Deschutes River in central Oregon for summer steelhead (average 8-15 lbs) casting classic wet fly and nymph patterns to supplement my spey casting. Based on my research so far I’m leaning towards the Dickerson 8015 Guide or Guide Special tapers as described in The Lovely Reed but looking for additional guidance from forum members. I only started building fiberglass rods this year but considering taking one of the rod building classes identified in this forum or having a complete rod or rod blank made by an experienced rod builder. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Re: Recommended steelhead taper

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I have never been to the Deschutes, but it looks like a pretty big piece of water. I would consider a Bokstrom 908, which I believe was designed for just the purpose you describe. It is, as the name implies, a 9 foot 8 weight rod. The action is that of a medium speed progressive taper, perhaps a bit on the slowish side of medium. That keeps the effort of casting it within reason. I built one a few years ago, which weighs in at 6.7 ounces, equipped with a 7" substantial full wells grip, a full metal seat and a short fighting butt. I balance it with an older Billy Pate Salmon reel. It is a smooth caster, and offers excellent line control. Mr Bokstrom was an exceptional rod taper designer.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Bob:

Give serious consideration to an E. C. Powell , Steelhead 'C' taper rod. These rods were designed to fish west coast steelhead and salmon fisheries. In the 9'0" length the rod will weigh in about 4.75 ounces. He also made a 9'6" version which weighed about 5.4 ounces. See Per Brandin's "A FLY ROD WITH A SOUL" for tapers. The Deschutes is a big river (as you know), the extra length is a must.

Carl

P.S.: These rods require hollow building.

Rhillier

Post by Rhillier »

Tom and Carl
Thanks both for your recommendations on a steelhead rod taper. Before Covid we had an annual spey clave in the Portland area were you could try out various spey rods so I wish there was a similar event for bamboo fanatics here in the PNW.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Rhillier wrote:
03/06/22 23:59
I’m leaning towards the Dickerson 8015 Guide or Guide Special tapers as described in The Lovely Reed but looking for additional guidance from forum members.
I made a Dickerson 8015 GS and love it. It’s hollow built and although not as light as graphite it doesn’t feel clunky like the bigger bamboo rods tend to get. Some guys like the longer heavier slower rods counter balanced with heavy reels but if you are used to graphite I think you’ll find them to feel heavy and slow in your hand. It’s really a matter of personal preference. It would be well worth your time and effort to go to a gathering and cast some rods.

Good luck in your new adventure,

Ron
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Bob:

I once owned a Dickerson 8015 and a 8615 Special, had access to an 8015 Gudie Special, as well as a number of other bigger rods (Winston, Payne, Thomas, etc.) for steelhead fishing. When I was introduced to the works of E. C. Powell, that was it. All the other rods did not compare. The ECP's were lighter, they cast very nicely, not fast, but certainly not slow, just smooth power. They had no problem putting all the line out if needed. They handled the fish well, Steelhead, Atlantics and larger stream fish. Their light weight meant I could use my regular big fish reels. No need to find something heavier. Their longer length allowed better line control. Do your research.

Carl

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Garrison 221 is a nice casting 7 weight taper at 8'9".

Bill

Ron Barch
Guide

Post by Ron Barch »

Check out John Bokstorm's steelhead taper. It's a Good One.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

Living in Oregon you can’t go wrong with a E.C. taper hollow c would be my choice best of luck

Rhillier

Post by Rhillier »

Thanks again for the great advise on a steelhead rod. I checked on Ricks Rods and ebay for the the rods suggested, any other recommended sources for these rods?

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Rhillier wrote:
03/13/22 21:30
Thanks again for the great advise on a steelhead rod. I checked on Ricks Rods and ebay for the the rods suggested, any other recommended sources for these rods?
I like the idea of building it yourself. Classes are available in many places.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Rhillier wrote:
03/13/22 21:30
I like the idea of building it yourself. Classes are available in many places.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

I'd second the idea of taking a class and building it yourself. There are many talented bamboo rodmakers who are willing to share their knowledge, and may already build the perfect taper to suit your casting style.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

Building you own rod is great ,but if you just want a rod soon find a local builder to assist in you rod of choice,if you want a true E.C. Powell rod they are a little harder to find keep our eyes open and do general google search often, they are a real prize in good condition

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

A story,

Time for a story of the Friends Rod.

Ron Grantham and I fished together many times. He was a great guy. I miss him a lot.
A story.
Ron pestered and pestered me to go to the Dean but life always got in the way. The year I retired I got a phone call from Ron. He says “I need $700”. When Ron told me that, my heart dropped as Ron was never in “that list”. He then follows that up with “you’re going to the Dean, no excuses”. So, $700 went to Ron for the prepay of the trip. I was part of a group of four flying into the Totems camp in August.
When the trip was booked I told Ron I had no rod suitable. He says “I got one for you”. The borrowed rod had a history. It was built by John Bokstrom’s for his best friend Bill Young. Well Bill passed before he could use it. Ron acquired the rod from Bill’s widow. He lent the rod to me. It was likely the first time it had been fished. Within 2 hours of landing on the Dean it accounted for a steelhead of perhaps 15 pounds. During the week, it hooked 9, landing 7. Returned to Ron where it resided to Ron’s passing. It then surfaced in 108 Mile House acquired by Bill Nemo who also has never fished it. Bill Nemo phones regularly as he builds bamboo rods as well. The rod was circulated through friends of mine and is still there. I may have to buy it from Bill.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Either a Winston 9 for 9 or a Howells 9 for a 9 - load well - cast well and hold up Western rod builders for western rivers

Gregg

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

I made a 9' 9wt rod based on the Payne 400. I hollowed it quite a bit, and it works very well for Alaskan cohos. It should also work well for steelhead.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

A story,

Time for a story of the Friends Rod.

Ron Grantham and I fished together many times. He was a great guy. I miss him a lot.
A story.
Ron pestered and pestered me to go to the Dean but life always got in the way. The year I retired I got a phone call from Ron. He says “I need $700”. When Ron told me that, my heart dropped as Ron was never in “that list”. He then follows that up with “you’re going to the Dean, no excuses”. So, $700 went to Ron for the prepay of the trip. I was part of a group of four flying into the Totems camp in August.
When the trip was booked I told Ron I had no rod suitable. He says “I got one for you”. The borrowed rod had a history. It was built by John Bokstrom’s for his best friend Bill Young. Well Bill passed before he could use it. Ron acquired the rod from Bill’s widow. He lent the rod to me. It was likely the first time it had been fished. Within 2 hours of landing on the Dean it accounted for a steelhead of perhaps 15 pounds. During the week, it hooked 9, landing 7. Returned to Ron where it resided to Ron’s passing. It then surfaced in 108 Mile House acquired by Bill Nemo who also has never fished it. Bill Nemo phones regularly as he builds bamboo rods as well. The rod was circulated through friends of mine and is still there. I may have to buy it from Bill.

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

I enjoyed reading your story Don so thank you very much.

rogerblong

Post by rogerblong »

How about a shorter taper for fishing brushy creeks for steelhead. Something like a 7' 7 or 8 weight?

Return to “Taper Exchange”