How did my IP address get banned/blocked.blacklisted?

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

How did my IP address get banned/blocked.blacklisted?

Post by bassman »

I tried to respond to a thread on the board this morning and got message my IP Address was blocked. Rebooted and tried again and same thing. I unfortunately didn't copy the exact message but it some outfit called Spamhaus blocking me from board. As usual I was at a total loss on this kind of crap so called my kid in. He couldn't figure out what was going on either but Spamhaus seems to be a legitimate place where you can ben IP addresses and keep them from accessing a board. My kid fixed this in a way I'm not happy with by giving me some kind of revolving IP address or something but my original IP is no longer there.

Some time back I suggested it would be nice if we could block a computer on the WTB scams instead of just banning the user name. Maybe someone took my IP and showed me how it can be done but my kid also showed me how easy to get by this. Every time I turn on computer now I have a new IP so that wouldn't work to ban IP on spammers anyway.

Ever hear of this titelines or any of you other guys ever run into this?

Nick

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How did my IP address get banned/blocked.blacklisted?

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Nick,

I would recommend starting here to see if your IP is on a Spamhaus blocked list.

https://check.spamhaus.org/

BTW, web hosting server providers I am sure are tightening up their network systems with the new cyber threats recently.

John

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

If Spamhaus has your ISP's IP blocks blocked, they are the ones that need to get themselves off Spamhaus's blacklist. Spamhuas will blacklist domains if they get reported for too many spam accounts exist in their domain. I'd get in touch with your ISP to see what they plan to do to get off that blacklist. The forum does subscribe to Spamhuas for their blacklist to ensure we keep the spammers off this forum. What the ISP's do is beyond our control.

Mark

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Okay, good advice except I don't know what my IP address was that got blocked and now it changes every time I reboot. Maybe I should have done this before I let kid change to a revolving IP and got my good name cleared. Right now I'm also having trouble not getting notifications on Facebook anymore when friends and fishing pages post like I used to. I have come to exist only for computers these days so maybe I should study more on what goes on beyond the front pages.

Thanks guys but I guess I'm using a spammer's tricks to get past the blockage.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

bassman wrote:
03/07/22 17:20
Okay, good advice except I don't know what my IP address was that got blocked and now it changes every time I reboot. Maybe I should have done this before I let kid change to a revolving IP and got my good name cleared. Right now I'm also having trouble not getting notifications on Facebook anymore when friends and fishing pages post like I used to. I have come to exist only for computers these days so maybe I should study more on what goes on beyond the front pages.

Thanks guys but I guess I'm using a spammer's tricks to get past the blockage.
I wouldn't worry about your good name being tied to the old IP address. Generally speaking, when you have a static IP address assigned by your ISP it isn't permanent and nobody but your ISP (okay, maybe Google) knows who the IP is assigned to at any given time. In many ways having a new IP address regularly is safer, so it's probably win-win for you.

Return to “Technical Support”