Daiichi hooks not really Daiichi?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Daiichi hooks not really Daiichi?

Post by joaniebo »

I missed the original post about Daiichi hooks. I've used them for many years and wonder what the scuttlebutt is? Please advise. THANKS.

Bob

PS - PM me if you don't want to do a public post.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Bob, PM sent

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

joaniebo wrote:
03/09/22 13:34
I missed the original post about Daiichi hooks. I've used them for many years and wonder what the scuttlebutt is? Please advise. THANKS.

Bob

PS - PM me if you don't want to do a public post.
I missed the original post as well. Is there a quality issue with Daiichi hooks?

I use several Daiichi styles. Would hate to lose a good fish due to poor quality hooks

Eric

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

It seems that people are jumping to conclusions here. It seems trivial to me. Just looked in my latest Hareline catalog and they sell both Daiichi and the Ahrex hooks. Sure it is just Harelines way of marketing more product for sale. I also head to ASG to pick up my hooks for my tying business as they are a nice cycle ride. Obviously Daiichi are high quality hooks just bellow the level of Tiemco. Relabeling the same product is part of business. Go fishing and not worry about such silly intangible's

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The Daiichi hooks I have are as good as Tiemcos, in my opinion.

John

Fats62
Guide

Post by Fats62 »

I drive right through Elba NY when I go visit my Dad. I asked if I could stop and pick up hooks and the answer was No! LOL

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Fats62 wrote:
04/19/22 12:50
I drive right through Elba NY when I go visit my Dad. I asked if I could stop and pick up hooks and the answer was No! LOL
Of course not. They are a wholesale distributor. They don’t have a store front and they sell to their dealers not the general public.

Did they offer up their dealer list? That is the standard answer you get for these kinds of queries.

John

Munson

Post by Munson »

Brooks could you pm what the original post was. I trying to decide what hooks a want to buy in the future.

Thanks

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I stand corrected on my last statement with Daiichi hooks. The Daiichi hooks 1160,1167,2110,2117,2477 and the 2553 have always been made in Korea they will continue to be made in Korea. All the rest of the Daiichi hooks have and will continue to be manufactured in Japan. A staff person did stress that what ever is stated on their label in terms of where the hooks were manufactured is where they are made. In other words if the label states made in Japan that is truely were they are made. Hope that makes sense.
Bohemian Bob

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”