Homemade smoked kielbasa

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Mike N
Master Guide

Homemade smoked kielbasa

Post by Mike N »

I originally posted this on ORCA Reel Talk and thought some might enjoy it here.

Made some homemade Polish kielbasa (Swojska) today with my son and his buddies. All 4 of my grandparents were Polish immigrants and I hope this appeases the ancestors. My son did 99% of the planning and actual sausage making.

Grind pork butt, beef cheek and pork belly. Mix in the seasonings (garlic cloves, dried marjoram, black pepper, kosher salt and and curing salt) along with ice water. Stuff it in washed hog casings. Smoke it with cherry wood. Eat it.

(Tap on photo to enlarge)

Last edited by Mike N on 03/13/22 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

jvh
Master Guide

Re: Homemade smoked kielbasa

Post by jvh »

Sounds great. Can't beat homemade sausage. Made a batch of breakfast sausage today.
Vern

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Your post brings me back to my North Jersey, Italian/Polish family dinners. I didn't know how special it was at that time. A typical holiday meal was
a huge platter of pasta and meatballs, sausage, bracciole, spare ribs and neck bones in GRAVY not sauce...then a mountain of kielbasa, glazed ham, pierogi, all kinds of veggies, roast chicken and fresh babka and semolina...

yeah I know, but it was different back around 1960...

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

A lot of European immigrant sausage making was an attempt to make protein scraps tasty. Funny how we resort to those simple foods even as families become more prosperous.

Today, the key to separating homemade taste from store-bought is quality ingredients. We use a lot of pork belly and marjoram, a sweet aromatic herb, similar to Italian oregano, but milder. The slow cherry wood smoking can make anything taste better. Add a nice beet flavored horseradish and…..yum. Horseradish as a condiment to kielbasa is similar to how wasabi accentuates sushi.

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

That looks fabulous! And, reminds me of my youth.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I'll take 5 lbs. And then eat it with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Oh, have mercy, that looks good!
Gary

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

gt05254 wrote:
03/13/22 14:46
Oh, have mercy, that looks good!
Gary
Gary, did you ever go to one of those "Mom and Pop" butcher shops around the Broadway Market on the east side of Buffalo NY? Homemade sasuage to die for, especially on the grill and perhaps a cold Labatts or Molsons?
William

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

My grandparents were also Polish Immigrants, Mother was born in Poland and shortly after came to America. My "BABCIA", grandmother also made kielbasa when I was young, many years ago

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

[/quote]
Gary, did you ever go to one of those "Mom and Pop" butcher shops around the Broadway Market on the east side of Buffalo NY? Homemade sasuage to die for, especially on the grill and perhaps a cold Labatts or Molsons?
William
[/quote]

The best. Great horseradish there too.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

my lord, now THAT is an afternoon well spent! sausage and suds and son....how can you do better?

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”