Maine in May

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Maine in May

Post by 3creeks »

I'm working in Islesboro, Maine in early to mid May and I'm going to try to build in an extra couple of days for a cushion that might turn into a fishing opportunity. Weather permitting, of course. I'll be flying into and out of Boston and driving to near Rockland to catch the ferry to the island.

Will the weather be decent enough to fish for trout somewhere? Pardon the potential dumb question - I live in LA where it's 70 and sunny on New Year's day. I do know that it might be really cold still. I'm just wondering if there's somewhere I could drive a couple of hours max and get into some trout. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Maine in May

Post by spruce grouse »

I’m a wannabe Mainer, so true Mainers could speak to this better. It depends when you will be there. May is sort of transitional. Early in the month you could still have ice on lakes inland, I believe. Mid month you start getting the first large dry flies - Hendricksons. I assume you’re getting the ferry from Lincolnville. What are you looking to fish for and when?

There are ponds on Isleboro that have fish.
There’s fishing for stocked trout in the St. George River about half an hour from there.
Very good bass fishing in nearby Megunticook Lake, unless it’s too early. There’s at least one guide who guides there.
Grand Lake Stream would be about 3 hours away. One of the best places for landlocked salmon. Weatherby’s is an old lodge there.
Greenville is about 2 1/4 hours on Moosehead Lake. The East Outlet Kennebec River is supposed to be very good for landlocked and brookies. I’m actually going to do a float trip there in May and will find out. It can also be waded (depending on water levels).
A lot of streams have native brookies, ponds and lakes have bass and larger rivers, trout and bass. I just don’t have that much experience as I’m not a resident. Let me know when exactly you’re looking to fish. Maybe we could get together, as I’ll be about 1/2 an hour from Lincolnville.

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

I am a Mass. guy but we have fished Maine in May for five years or so. Always early May around Mothers Day. Always cold . No Black Flies yet, a good thing. Moosehead Lake, Moose River & The East Outlet of Kennebec River. Always caught Salmon & Brook Trout. Streamers as the fish are on the Smelt. Bundle up.

bamboo...mike

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer to fish some streams for trout if possible. Catching Bookies from a stream would be amazing. I might have a great excuse to build a 3 piece Leonard or a Payne that would fit into my suitcase but I will need to get splitting this week to make sure that it's ready. Maybe a Tru Oil finish so that it can cure faster. I have a Granger 9050 that will fit in my suitcase - I think.

Anyway I start on May 9th and I will be living in the house that I'm working in, and I'm on an island so I won't exactly have much to do besides work and sleep, so I figured I'd probably finish early and get off the island and sight see with some fishing thrown in. Spruce I'm thinking that I should be done with the job by around the 18th of May so once I get closer to that date I would be up for meeting if you are able to.

Thanks guys.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

You can catch Stocked Browns & Rainbow right in downtown Camden F&W stocks the Megunticook

For Native Brook Trout try the DuckTrap off Tanglewood Rd 44.313236X69.O41260

Also little brooks running into Penobscot Bay have Sea Run Brooke's in April if the flow is high & temp is good you may want to give them a shot

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I've been in Maine since last Sunday and it's been very enjoyable. My plans have kind of changed in that I hurt my back in late March and I wasn't able to finish the 3 pc. rod that I had intended to bring. I also don't know where I would have packed anything extra, let alone fishing gear, so I'm going to be leaving Islesboro on Tuesday and I plan to hit up the local antique tool stores and eat as much lobster as possible. The guys at Mortise and Tenon Magazine (I'm a huge fan of that publication) gave me some great suggestions on where to go.

I decided to head up to Bangor and stay the night on Tuesday before driving back closer to Boston so I can get to Logan Airport in time for my flight home on Thursday. I passed the Lie Nielsen showroom on the way into Lincolnville and I was majorly disappointed that the showroom was closed temporarily. I've always wanted to go in there but maybe it saved me from myself! Ah well, more money for Lobster! Here's what I've been up to on the island for anyone interested.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

3creeks wrote:
05/15/22 22:40
Here's what I've been up to on the island for anyone interested.
Paint or paper? Either way, nicely done...

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Thank you. Hand painted wallpaper. I installed it after the hand painting happened in their studios near Hong Kong. Maine is my new favorite state. I know that the winters are brutal and it's only fair that you get such greenery and beauty in the spring and summer months.

Sadly, most of the antique stores are still not open, or they are only open closer to the weekend and I wasn't able to do much there. I did buy a small 102 block plane from Lie Nielsen today and I got to pick it up with an employee coming out to bring it to me. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't go inside because I might have burnt through my profits in that store!

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

It may very well be the 21st century but - with some exceptions - Maine is still a 3 season state. I hope we never change. Pre-pandemic my wife and I would make day-trip loops that typically included Lie Nielsen in Warren, Liberty Tool in Liberty, Red Eats (for lobster rolls) in Wiscasset, a few fiber arts shops and then just anything that caught our eyes. Always lots of fun. It's a wonderful place to live. And the fishing doesn't suck. ;)

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

ctwhite wrote:
05/19/22 22:40
It may very well be the 21st century but - with some exceptions - Maine is still a 3 season state. I hope we never change. Pre-pandemic my wife and I would make day-trip loops that typically included Lie Nielsen in Warren, Liberty Tool in Liberty, Red Eats (for lobster rolls) in Wiscasset, a few fiber arts shops and then just anything that caught our eyes. Always lots of fun. It's a wonderful place to live. And the fishing doesn't suck. ;)
Liberty Tool was closed, unfortunately. I think they open on Saturday but I'm home already. I tried the Big Chicken Barn and they were open. My navigation took me through the back roads from the Big Chicken to Bangor, with some of it being unpaved. More beautiful scenery, however. I miss it already.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Winters are no big deal in Maine (except up in The County). Really. In fact, they're getting easier and easier, which is bad news for those of us who love to play on snow and ice.

The worst season in Maine is about March 15 to early May. The calendar says spring, but the weather is miserable and there's nothing green. If I could, that's when I'd leave the state every year!

Come back any time.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I must have missed the bad weather by he skin of my teeth. I arrived on the 8th and the weather was beautiful with the exception of a couple of rainy days and some cooler weather. But it's so green and beautiful there. I'm trying to figure out how I can get back.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I’m up in Maine now. Was supposed to look at a house for sale (and probably buy) but one of the occupants tested positive a couple of days ago so I can’t see it. On the bright side, I’m floating the East Outlet (hoping for Hendricksons) on Tuesday. Brought a graphite rod and the trusty 8’ 3/2 Battenkill. May also do some exploring for mid-Coast brookies.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I checked out real estate listings in Maine yesterday. My wife is a Southern California girl through and through, and hates the cold, so if I had any hope of having a small fishing shack there I'd have to take her there to see it in the dead of summer.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Well, from the perspective of a California girl, I suppose winters are pretty awful in Maine, haha. Definitely bring her up to the Maine coast in July or August when the rest of the country is sweltering. There a reason the moneyed class (then and now) summer in Maine! As a second plan of attack, bring her to the northwoods in late September. No bugs, beautiful foliage, and great trout and salmon fishing.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Since I'm far from being in the moneyed class, my dream of a fishing shack in Maine is only a dream. But I have an evil plan. I'm going to finish the Payne 198 that I started and couldn't finish before I left for Maine, and I'm going to gift it to the client who put me up in a pretty nice loft on his property that I worked at. They live in LA most of the year and I've worked in their house a few times here. He might need some casting lessons. In Maine of course! Don't tell anyone that I'm a terrible caster.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Schedule your evil plan for northern Maine during the last week of September. It's glorious...

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

ctwhite wrote:
05/22/22 16:07
Schedule your evil plan for northern Maine during the last week of September. It's glorious...
If it's prettier than it is now, then my mind will be blown. I assume the fall colors will be in full effect and I'm not sure you'd be able to get me to go back to LA if I saw that.

Trutta
Guide

Post by Trutta »

If you want to see gorgeous hit up Downeast in the fall, the barrens are absolutely amazing

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Trutta wrote:
05/23/22 19:39
If you want to see gorgeous hit up Downeast in the fall, the barrens are absolutely amazing
Sign me up!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”