HORTON "BRISTOL" FLY ROD

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

PAFISHERMAN84

HORTON "BRISTOL" FLY ROD

Post by PAFISHERMAN84 »

Recently inherited a Horton "BRISTOL" telescoping fly rod and reel. The rod is marked "pat march 8 87" which I'm assuming is 1887. The line goes
up through a hole in the rod through the steel telescopic part and out the end. There is no cork, its wood at the bottom and the overall
length is 6' 3". Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with these and how collectable they are. Thanks.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: HORTON "BRISTOL" FLY ROD

Post by Gnome »

If that rod needs a home it would have an honored place in the GTRS give me a shout or PM

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I have one. I bought it for $35 at one of Lang's discovery auctions 10 years ago. That's what I'm selling mine for.

Sidemount Fan
Sport

Post by Sidemount Fan »

They are collectible, and IMHO very interesting. You can spend quite a long time putting together a complete collection - and you'll find the toughest items of all are the packaged wires that were used to thread the line through that rod. I'm curious about the reel though - that might add to what you have. Any pictures you can share?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Nice rods, Jim. Certainly a step up from the one I bought, which is the only one I ever had the chance to purchase.
Is there a geographical area that they seem to like?

Sidemount Fan
Sport

Post by Sidemount Fan »

I haven't really noticed any congregations, at least not in the northeast. I'm always on the lookout for those packaged wires, and I've only found two (the second envelope was a bit rough, so I was glad to have upgraded).

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”