The 8' Phillipson

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

The 8' Phillipson

Post by teter »

It's no secret that I love Phillipson rods, both those Bill designed for Granger and his own company's models. The 8' Phillipson 4 1/4 oz. 3/2 rod is among his best designs, slightly beefier in the mid than the Granger 8040 but very similar in action.
I have pictured the four models that were catalogued as 8-foot 3/2 varnished rods -- the Pacemaker, Powr Pakt, Paramount and Premium --as well as the two impregnated models, the Peerless and the Preferred.
It's interesting that over the years, some of the 8-foot rods were marked as HEH and some as HDH. The weight is marked as the same 4 1/4 oz., and the ferrules are identical (16 and 10, compared with 15/10 for the 8040), but the action is slightly different. I haven't miked the rods (I'm not proficient in that) so I don't know if the tapers are different or if someone in the factory waggled each rod and pronounced it HDH or HEH. To me almost all of them cast best with a DT5 line, although one of my two Pacemakers is a 4-weight. Interestingly, it is marked HEH, while the one that casts better with a DT5 has no line designation on it. The Peerless that I own is the later "nosecone" version and is simply marked "line weight 5."
I would be interested in the observations of other fans of these rods.

Pacemaker (early model)

Powr Pakt (later model)

The hammer-handle models (Premium and Paramount)

The impregnated models, Peerless and Preferred

para_adams
Master Guide

Re: The 8' Phillipson

Post by para_adams »

Here's my 8' Pacemaker "HEH" taking a short break in Rocky Mountain National Park. That rod is one of the most versatile and capable rods I've ever fished. Teter, you have good taste. Image

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Moderators, can you please delete post #3? It's obviously spam. Thanks.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Great line up Lon and thank you for starting this thread. I fished my Hank Roberts nosecone version this past Saturday. It is my favorite 8' rod in the 3/2 configuration. My rod is also marked line #5 and I use Cortland Peach 444 DT5 and WF5 and also a natural silk on it. Even mice seem to like this rod :rollin

Cheers,
Joe

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

teter wrote:
03/28/22 01:55
Moderators, can you please delete post #3? It's obviously spam. Thanks.
Use the Report Post button in that post rather than posting in the topic. It's the little black triangle. We don't always read all the posts in the forum.

Mark

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

OK, thanks.

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

OMG !!
I gotta show this to my wife!
Proof that someone else has the Phillipson Phlu worse than I do.

Loved looking at your rods
I have a W&M 8040 Aristocrat that I love with a 4 DT, and a Phillipson Pacemaker 8' that I haven't worked with enough to find the right line.
You've inspired me to get it out and try some lines

I'm looking for a Premium in 8 ' if anybody wants to part with one

Clayton

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

The 8’ varnished Phillipsons are the rods I use the most for close-to-home fishing. My favorite is a Pacemaker HEH that I like as a 4 weight. I expected it to be a 5 weight and it’s fine with a 5 but it’s best for me with a 4 weight line. I think It’s the second iteration with the black plastic seat with silver colored metal threads. It’s great with little BWO’s and I like to nymph and swing soft hackles with it also. It’s great at a lot of things. A very easygoing taper but not slow. Plenty of power for fighting the fish I usually encounter. Haven’t caught a 20 incher with it but I wouldn’t worry about it’s ability to handle a fish like that. I don’t know which I like better - the 8 footer or its’ cousin, the 5oz 8’6”.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Nice selection, Lon! I've had a few 8 ft. Phillipsons, but still prefer the Granger 8040 FWIW.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

8' Pacemaker taking a break somewhere in southern CO.

It's marked "HEH" but I like it with a TT4.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

Here's my 8' Pacemaker. Its part of my little flock which includes a:
• 7 1/2' 6wt Peerless
• 8 1/2' 6 wt Dry Fly Special
• 9' Paramount

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Great post…past forum posts have always had high praise for the Granger 8040s and 8’ Phillipsons. I’ve never tossed these 8 footers, so I thought I would try to get my hands on one. The 8’ Pacemaker, that I purchased several months ago, had oversized chrome snake guides, oversized tip tops, and TWO ceramic stripper guides; also a brown thread wrap with a hint of metallic glitter. (See first 3 pictures) I tried to keep the spirit of an early Pacemaker by re-wrapping the guides using a “granger green” silk with yellow silk tippings. However, I personally like hook keeps and decided to keep the installed hook keep. (See last 3 pictures)

I’m patiently waiting for an early spring day to get the Pacemaker out on a river. Like I said earlier, I haven’t tossed an 8 footer, so I’ll be bringing 4 & 6wt sylk lines and 4 - 6wt WF lines. Hoping this rod will quickly become a “go to” rod.

Sawtelle

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

A very well done "study" of the Phillipson 8 foot 3pc rod. Some of the best production models ever made. I am a big fan of the Phillipson grip the modest full Well's that is not the hammer shape, comfortable for all day fishing. I also really like the 16 & 10 ferrule sizes for a bit more power than a 15. It is no wonder they are very popular with us vintage rod people. Best Paul,

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Great rods indeed. I acquired an 8 footer with a broken tip a couple years ago. I had Dennis Stone scarf the broken tip and he did a wonderful job. I fish the rod regularly and do enjoy it. Mine likes a DT5 line.

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

Wonder if anyone has miked both rods - the HDH vs HEH. It would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

BigPine
Sport

Post by BigPine »

Hi Teter, thanks for starting this thread. Your Phillipson collection is impressive! I have a varnished 8' Phillipson Premium from the Phil Snyder estate that I am really pleased to own and take fishing. That was always Phil's intention as well. It's been a real go-to rod for me. Mine is marked 4 1/4 - HDH. I like it with a WF5 or a DT5 on the stream. It's one of my faster cane rods. It's super easy and fun to cast, and has enough backbone to handle some breeze and a sink tip line occasionally. I also like the modest Wells grip and the subtle cosmetics. The tip ferrule measures like a #10/11 step down (.156/.172) and the butt ferrule is a straight #16 (.250). I also have a W&M #8040 that I haven't fished as much, and it feels good with a 4 or a 5 weight line. It’s similar, but doesn’t have the power of the Phillipson. I’d like to fish it a bit more and find the sweet spot of this highly regarded Granger taper. After fishing both of these rods, it’s clear to me that Bill Phillipson was a master craftsman and likely a very good fisherman!

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

You have quite the collection Lon! I love Phillipsons too. My only 8'er is a Paramount which I will keep and fish until I am unable to fish anymore. My Paramount casts very well with a 5wt and I've had no reason to try anything else but I may try a 4 just to see how the rod perfoms. I have a couple 8 1/2' Phillipsons, (Preferred, Peerless), and 9' Premium, Paramount and Power Pakt.

I do have a friend that has a 8' Pacemaker and as far as I know, doesnt use it. I may have to bug him about maybe selling it!

Bruce

Morten

Post by Morten »

Native trout from my favorite stream. A very well build and strong rod for smaller sized fish. I have felt undergunned with it a few times, especially on very turbulent waters with huge grayling.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”