Silk thread Charleston Green

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Silk thread Charleston Green

Post by ozarkwater »

Where can I find a spool, or two of Charleston Green silk thread?

Have a "few" Walton Powell rods that are wrapped in that color and would like to have some on hand to make decent repairs.

Thank you

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Silk thread Charleston Green

Post by steeliefool »

A manufracturer, color # would be enormously helpful here. Or a thereabouts!
Which Charleston claims this green?
Not everybody is hip to Powell. Enlighten me please as I very well may have what u need!

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

As far as I know, there's no thread manufacturer that labeled their thread "Charleston Green". It's clearly a reference to the dress that Scarlett made from old sash curtains in order to fool Rhett when she went to Charleston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8EodW2ossg

It's s deep forest green, but didn't Powell use shellac on his wraps, which would have darkened the spool color, but not as much as straight varnish.

--Rich

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I can't imagine that Powell made his own silk, so he got it from somewhere! Who were the suppliers at the time?With the following here, I should think someone would know.
Butler Net,Twin and Thread Co?
Scarlet Silk Notions? or maybe..
O'Hara Inc.? 🙂

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

A bit late responding. Work issues are all absorbing right now...

Will reply to all in one post.

No mfg. #. Read years back that the color was referred to [ by whom, cannot recall ] as "Charleston Green". If one browses the web, you can find an actual color by that name. Mostly paint for doors in Charleston as I recall. ??

Do not have Mr. Brandin's book in front of me, but either shellac or lacquer as a wrap covering.

I have spent a small fortune over the last few years purchasing various greens and using all kinds of finishes - all to no avail. Of course these rods were made late 50s and into the 60s. So coloration replication given the aging variable is going to be tricky. Kind of like some Granger wraps look green and black, but are actually white and black.

That is what I believe Walton had to buy it from somewhere, no way would he make his own. Maybe a Powell expert can chime in and steer me onto the correct route? Will look into those potential sources cited. Might have to break down and send some PMs and emails if all else fails.

Thanks guys! Saga continues...

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Well have contacted Russ at Golden Witch and he has evaluated my question, reviewed his info and arrived at some suggestions.

Just placed an order based on his "go-to's" and will wrap, seal and final coat per Per Brandin's book on ECPowell and see what happens.

And since I do have a broken Walton Powell tip that Mr. Jim Clarkson made a duplicate for a while back - should be a good test plot!

Shall keep everyone informed.

Thank you

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I corresponded with Per a little bit when I was ordering his book. You can always ask him. per2@comcast.net

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

By the way, many of you probably know about this but Russ is in talks with a buyer for Golden Witch. He has always been a great source for information and he will be sorely missed.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

3creeks wrote:
03/31/22 09:32
By the way, many of you probably know about this but Russ is in talks with a buyer for Golden Witch. He has always been a great source for information and he will be sorely missed.
Kind of figured something. Sure hope the best for him and his family and...hate to admit it, but...hope so too for our sakes!

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

3creeks wrote:
03/31/22 09:30
I corresponded with Per a little bit when I was ordering his book. You can always ask him. per2@comcast.net
Just might do that sometime this week! Thank you.

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

Perry if you’re referring to those 3 piece key way seat rods I know you love I have the thread Walt used on those. It’s nylon not silk. I’ll shoot you an email on it.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Thank you JonesvilleRes. No one has ever said before. Time period sure could be nylon though. Could have fooled me, as fine as it was. Again, thank you.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Can't say I've heard of a thread color called 'Charleston Green',
but my house shutters and pump housing here on James Island are painted
that color. At a casual glance, most folks with good vision would call the color 'black',
but in good light the faintest hint of deep, dark green shows though.
The color has a long history going well back into antebellum days, and was almost mandatory
on the trim of planter houses 'south of Broad' on the Charleston peninsula.
Established paint dealers of the Lowcountry have their own proprietary 'Charleston Green' formulas.

paul
charleston sc

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

That is the story I have heard/read. My family, or part of them where in Charleston area during the Rev War and before. So has a bit of history so to speak. Plus I think the color is awesome. As you mentioned get it in sunlight and it sure pops!

Thank you

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

3creeks wrote:
03/31/22 09:32
Yes he will... glad for him but sorry to hear this.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 with what Tunafart stated.

The only "Charleston Green" that I'm aware of is paint. I haven't heard of any thread being named that. Having lived in Charleston for a few years I painted my parents exterior doors and shutters that color many years ago. It's a green that is so dark that it appears black. On a cloudy day they do look black. On a bright sunny day you'll see a hint of green.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”