Hardy Marquis Tongue Stud Repair: Right Tool for the Job?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

j.robillard
Guide

Hardy Marquis Tongue Stud Repair: Right Tool for the Job?

Post by j.robillard »

*originally post in Classic Reels board, but realize this may be the better place for my question.

Hello,

One of the click check tongue studs on my Marquis #5 gave out. I found a replacement that I'm pretty sure will fit from Mike's Reel Repair. The measurements are the same, and they've used it for a #6. Has anyone done this repair on their own? Specifically, I'm curious what tool they used to set the rivet over the tongue washer? There are a lot of punch tools out there like center punches, nail setters, or roll pin punches. My plan is to support the tongue head (inside of the reel) with a small and flat metal platform, and then to tap the rivet over the washer. Would a basic center punch carefully tapped into the stud suffice to set it? Or does anyone have a preferred tool that works better?

Thanks for your help. This is my first Hardy reel and when the spring was release from the stud during a cleaning it just simply fell out. I didn't see that the original rivet had disintegrated, or been knocked off during use. I'm a frugal fisher, and would love to get this reel back into full working shape.

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy Robillard
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

PJ Julius
Sport

Re: Hardy Marquis Tongue Stud Repair: Right Tool for the Job?

Post by PJ Julius »

If it were my reel, I would call Bill Archuleta at Archuleta's Reel Works and ask him to fix it. (541)956-1691
archuletareelworks.com

j.robillard
Guide

Re: Hardy Marquis Tongue Stud Repair: Right Tool for the Job?

Post by j.robillard »

Thanks, I’ll give him a call.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

Return to “Classic Reels”