The Orvis Story

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

bluejayee
Bamboo Fanatic

The Orvis Story

Post by bluejayee »

Hi Guys, Boy, I'm glad I opened that can of worms. [Oops, I'm mean San Juan Worms.] I don't worry too much about 'objectivity' in anything I read and wouldn't expect it in a corporate history. I can smell a rat my own self. It's an interesting book. Jay Edwards

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Orvis Story

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

It's a great read.
I learned a lot - and highly recommend it.
Thanks for the tip Jay!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

The 125th anniversary edition, had a number of holes but sucked me into the story. The 150th anniversary edition (2006) filled in some of those holes and intrigued me enough to dig for my own sources. Schullery worked with what was available and did a fantastic job of weaving an interesting story. We have unbelievable access to original sources that were unavailable even in 2006. The more I dig the more I'm amazed at what AJ Campbell did in 1997. AJ Campbell pointed out a discrepancy in the the Orvis story back in 1997! AJ noted a early Manchester rod with a paper label attributed to Swift and Eggleston in a 1987 Oliver Auction and I couldn't let go!

Here are a couple of important images.
1. The Vermont register business entries from 1866 - 1870 (these would have been collected the year before) have CF Orvis as the druggest and dentist. 1868-1870 has G Swift manufacturing fishing rods. There are other documents that show George Swift as the source for tackle.

2. The Manchester Journal 1915 obituary for C.F. Orvis. Note what the local information was in 1915 - CF Orvis started Orvis in 1870!

So where did the 1856 date come from? The original sources are starting to work it out. Despite a lack of higher education Charles had a great marketing brain. What is starting to become apparent, Charles seemed to have a good artistic chops. I question the "engineering" skill set, it appears that he wasn't overly involved in the mechanical aspect of any of the manufacturing. Hiram Eggleston had some serious mechanical skills, his dad partnered in the quarry and stone business, Hiram was a mechanic, the preeminent carpenter of Manchester and the designer of the Orvis reel seat, and possibly the brain behind the famous reel (IMO). Orvis has continued to promote the 1856 date, however there is substantial evidence to show that Orvis was really a company starting in 1870.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Great research, thanks for posting
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Two employees

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Return to “Book Talk”