Chef Knives from Small Makers Question

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

dshx
Master Guide

Re: Chef Knives from Small Makers Question

Post by dshx »

Alex, if you haven't done so already, I suggest perusing the Kitchen Knife Forum,https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/. There are many reviews and opinions of the higher end foreign as well as domestic knife makers. If you are accustomed to VG10 steel, you will have a pleasant experience when you use and sharpen the higher end Japanese and Swedish steels. Having said that, I just received a Bloodroot knife which used recycled roller bearing steel. OMG! Anyway be cautious, especially if you are married, as nicer culinary knives and sharpening stones are at least as much of a rabbit hole as bamboo rods. ;)

-Dwight

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

dshx wrote:
05/10/22 14:47
Anyway be cautious, especially if you are married, as nicer culinary knives and sharpening stones are at least as much of a rabbit hole as bamboo rods. ;)
Thanks Dwight. Good advise on the wife front. She does not know how many rods and reels I have or the cost.
She does not pay attention. I think if she knew the costs I would be in serious trouble. As for knives, she sees them everyday, but so far they are not extremely expensive compared to the high end ones. The thing is, she does not know that you can drop $1,500 without flinching on a knife, and more of course.

I should start a thread on sharpening stones / systems as well….

Tight Lines

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

I was a professional chef for 36 years , started of with Sabatier carbon and then Wusthof . I tried a few other brands including some high end Japanese knives but for me I much prefer the heavier German and French knives .
On the big auction site you can often find some lovely older Sabatier carbon knives very reasonable priced .

Showme
Guide

Post by Showme »

No one mentioned Korin of NY. They’re a chef supply house in Tribeca and they offer great selection of Japanese knives and also hand sharpening by a master

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I was a professional chef for 36 years , started of with Sabatier carbon and then Wusthof . I tried a few other brands including some high end Japanese knives but for me I much prefer the heavier German and French knives .
On the big auction site you can often find some lovely older Sabatier carbon knives very reasonable priced "
Count me in on the classic German and French knives too. I tried some colleagues and friends Japanese knives and got what seemed like paper cuts all over my fingers from the back side of the blade. Didn't care for the balance and feel of them either.

I'm sure they are just great for others, but for me, I want a Wusthof, or old Henckel or Sabatier.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Hello everyone!!

There are a ton of chefs knife makers (small shops)on Instagram, and the pricing is very reasonable……..especially when you consider the time from start to finish. Kind of like bamboo rods!! Look at Jamison Chopp knives. Makes some really cool Japanese style and Chef style blades for well under the $1k range. That said, here is a santoku I recently finished up in the shop as a gift for a friend.

Stabilized claro walnut scales, copper and stainless loveless bolt fasteners, and blue liners. Still chasing scratches, but I am pleased with it so far. Next round I will slim down the handle a bit more.

Enjoy,
Paul

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I got into Chinese cooking on a wok burner a couple of years ago after doing a wallpaper job in Hong Kong. The designer, a trained chef previously, gifted me a Chinese chef's cleaver and this beast of a butcher's knife from a store in Hong Kong that sells CCK knives. When they are sharp they are more scary than a well sharpened plane iron!
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleavers.html

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”