Winter in April

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Winter in April

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Just when you thought it was over....

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Winter in April

Post by driftless angler »

Yeah, it is crazy up here huh? Seems like as much snow as mid Feb. Oh well, our lake could use a fill up!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Ouch!!! The dog doesn't seem to mind.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Like it used to be...most of it will be gone after this weekend (on the roads anyway).

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Perfect!

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

It's 34 this morning in the Catskills and there are snow showers in our forecast. Higher elevations got some yesterday. It isn't accumulating, but then again we sure don't need any more water. This week we are supposed to get sixties but, oh yea, rain every day. Upon due consideration, I might trade ya the floods for the snow.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

It's 34 this morning in the Catskills and there are snow showers in our forecast. Higher elevations got some yesterday. It isn't accumulating, but then again we sure don't need any more water. This week we are supposed to get sixties but, oh yea, rain every day. Upon due consideration, I might trade ya the floods for the snow.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Caneghost, Tom had emailed me that everything was flooded in the Catskills.

With the stormy skies gone, Saturday turned out to be a gorgeous, blue-sky day. With not another sole around we trailblazed down to a frozen lake and kicked up a couple of grouse on the way. It is not easy walking in 2-1/2 feet of snow, but I enjoyed the exercise. Plus, my clothes were getting tight after a long, lazy Winter. Time to hit the river again.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I have a friend who came up from California a few weeks back. He said, "The coldest winter I've ever spent was April in Minnesota."

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I can remember when Wisconsin trout season didn't open until the first Saturday in May. There were years back then we woke up to 6" of fresh snow and other years we got burnt to a crisp in the hot sun on opening day.

This is definitely one of the coldest Aprils I have spent in northern Wisconsin in the last twenty years. Friends in far northern Wisconsin are finally picking Wild leeks. I just cut our first batch of wild asparagus today in southern Wisconsin. In the past it was always in April.

I was told in an email the Madison River area received 6" of snow yesterday. That is good news for the area and for the BWO hatch I saw in a photo.

Definitely a strange year.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

WiFlyFisher wrote:
05/10/22 16:04
I can remember when Wisconsin trout season didn't open until the first Saturday in May. There were years back then we woke up to 6" of fresh snow and other years we got burnt to a crisp in the hot sun on opening day.

Many a northern Wisconsin May opener we got snow -- 1972, 1978, 1980...most recently I think it was 1996. In 2013, we got 16" of snow on May 2-3, we had snow bumper deep on my brother's F-150 4x4 on the opener (May the 4th be with you) as we tried to drive back to our cabin.

Though we had ridiculous amounts of snow in April 2013 & 2014, I can't remember an April quite like this one as far as extended cold and continuous cloud cover (and wind!!). Chicago reported one "sunny" day out of 42 days based on their meteorological definitions. I would always jokingly say February is the longest month of the year, but I swear this April was 45 days long....maybe 60, I need to think about that.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”