Sticky silk line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Morten

Re: Sticky silk line

Post by Morten »

kevinhaney1 wrote:
06/27/22 10:06
Could I ask about how much they charge for that service Morten?

Kevin
I dont know. There are also some groups on Facebook, where people discuss silk lines. Here you might find some amatuers, who are willing to refinish your line.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I believe Jaime of Zen Outfitters does not use talc in crafting his silk lines for the same reasons I mentioned above. There appear to be many differing methods and beliefs for the manufacture and care of silk lines and I certainly don’t claim to be an expert. I’ve just made and refinished some lines, learning from my many mistakes and read (critically) as much as I can find. For instance, polishing a silk line between applications of finish appears popular, but it decreases the tendency for the line to ride on the water surface because it decreases the line’s surface area and, consequently, surface tension (the physical principle that allows our silk lines to ride on the surface). Folks seem to favor polishing though, maybe because it makes the line quieter in our guides or because it looks better or fits the image we’re accustomed to from our plastic lines.
Last edited by Dwight on 06/28/22 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Morten

Post by Morten »

A rough line is picking up dirt, thats why most lines are polished.
Last edited by Morten on 06/28/22 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Dwight wrote:
06/25/22 10:57
I think Morten is referring to talc, a fine, mineral based absorbing powder?
After a bit of powder and polishing the line is fine. I took it on a recent trip but never got around to fishing it (cast it yes). And believe it or not, the powder I used was what I had on hand, Bisquik for baking. It worked, knocked down the stickiness, rubbed off with several passes, reapplied, rerubbed. then redressed w Mucilin. It's now fine.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Morten wrote:
06/28/22 13:17
That’s an interesting idea Morten. I was thinking the application of our relatively soft hydrophobic dressing (Mucilin, Otter Butter, etc) was responsible for the accumulation of dirt; and also why it’s so important to re-harden a sticky soft line. But, to your point, a rougher line surface seems likely to make it harder to remove the dirty dressing after fishing and before re-application of more dressing. By “rougher,” I mean allowing the silk braid to reflect itself in the surface of the line rather than attempting to smooth it out during manufacture. I haven’t handled one, but Yano silk lines appear to have the braid reflected in the surface, whereas Phoenix much less so. Both are highly regarded silk lines.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I bought an unused vintage Brook Trout enamelled fly line. What is the enamelling and is it still usable?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

All I can say is that I've come across a few of those and they were in varying degrees of shape. Some looked brand new, others not so much. If new you could prob fish them, but I would wonder how long they'd fish till they showed their age....

Morten

Post by Morten »

Dwight wrote:
06/28/22 16:52
Morten wrote:
06/28/22 13:17
That’s an interesting idea Morten. I was thinking the application of our relatively soft hydrophobic dressing (Mucilin, Otter Butter, etc) was responsible for the accumulation of dirt; and also why it’s so important to re-harden a sticky soft line. But, to your point, a rougher line surface seems likely to make it harder to remove the dirty dressing after fishing and before re-application of more dressing. By “rougher,” I mean allowing the silk braid to reflect itself in the surface of the line rather than attempting to smooth it out during manufacture. I haven’t handled one, but Yano silk lines appear to have the braid reflected in the surface, whereas Phoenix much less so. Both are highly regarded silk lines.
I got your point, I guess this is more a theoretical problem, as we clean our silklines before use, with a feltpad or a cloth.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

What is an enameled silk line? How do they differ from a "normal" silk line? Are they fishable without treatment?

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Well, I have all that I need, I think, plus a new 'possibility' of artist Varnish Remover- for oil paintings, to 'safely remove Artisan varnish for cleaning and re-varnishing'.

Japan Drier is available at paint stores rather than Artist suppliers.

I thought the Varnish Remover may be of use in place of the turpentine to remove surface gunk. Any thoughts?

Malcolm

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I have wanted a good silk line for years, but the price always daunted me. Reading about all this maintenance, and buying new lines that are already sticky, dissuades me even further. I have friends with silk lines and I enjoy how they cast. But I'll wait until I write a best seller, which will NOT be about silk line maintenance!

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Man oh man. you guys are making such a production silk lines. The only lines that have given me a fit, other than enameled, are the Phoenix lines. I have restored over 100 lines and the Phoenix lines I just haven't found a solution to get them to be un-sticky. When this thread started I was working on a 5wt that was like new, I tried several processes and couldn't get it right. I "cleaned " that line and then I went on a trip for 7 weeks. When I got home I looked at the line and it was as sticky as when I left. I have yet tried to use the lime water which I'll do soon.

As far as daily maintenance there really isn't much to it. Fish it, dry it, treat it and fish it again. Ten minutes tops when you use it.:)

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

What is the issue with "enameled" lines? I recently bought a vintage Brook Trout enameled line in the original packaging but don't know if I should try it or display it.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Just returned from a long session of spring creeking with a DT4 Phoenix and here to report that all went well. I had rubbed the line clean twice, light app of Mucilin then spooled up and walked out to fish -- it was fine at start and for hours (though I should say that this was the sort of place where you aren't constantly casting, iow, I had time to let the first 20' dry in the California sun). But the performance was excellent, in fact, I think it will be the only line I fish on my new 8'3 Vance. It is a nearly perfect pairing, rod feels sweet and it casts accurate as hell with the silk. Rod was fished in MT and Idaho but went fishless. Yesterday it got christened with a fat 18" brown that slurped a caddis emerger.

Today, 24 hours later the line has a slight tack to it, but I think I can live with it.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

crowebeetle wrote:
07/11/22 10:22
What is the issue with "enameled" lines? I recently bought a vintage Brook Trout enameled line in the original packaging but don't know if I should try it or display it.
I have fished them and they preform okay. The problem is that they can't be refinished.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

narcodog, thanks for the information. Can I assume that the enamel cracks and the resultant water rots the silk?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

narcodog wrote:
07/11/22 09:49
Man oh man. you guys are making such a production silk lines. The only lines that have given me a fit, other than enameled, are the Phoenix lines. I have restored over 100 lines and the Phoenix lines I just haven't found a solution to get them to be un-sticky. When this thread started I was working on a 5wt that was like new, I tried several processes and couldn't get it right. I "cleaned " that line and then I went on a trip for 7 weeks. When I got home I looked at the line and it was as sticky as when I left. I have yet tried to use the lime water which I'll do soon.

As far as daily maintenance there really isn't much to it. Fish it, dry it, treat it and fish it again. Ten minutes tops when you use it.:)
I wonder if climate has anything to do with it. My formerly sticky Phoenix lines are in great shape now simply by using otter butter and letting them hang in loose coils. The ones bought new are all hard and smooth. I live in the high desert west so maybe that’s the difference.

Re: silk lines being a pain there is no way no how I ever go back to the grief of memory, inability to float, and terrible performance of plastic lines.

John

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

crowebeetle wrote:
07/11/22 20:01
narcodog, thanks for the information. Can I assume that the enamel cracks and the resultant water rots the silk?
Although I've not noticed a cracked and rotted line, I just know it's nearly impossible to remove it.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Grazie, narcodog.

jimlucey
Guide

Post by jimlucey »

malcolm .... any results to report yet ?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”