40 years ago this spring

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

40 years ago this spring

Post by GerardH »

Finals week was over and track season completed, I was finally home from college and had a week off before I started my summer job at a northern Wisconsin window factory. The plan was to fish the heck out of the week and the first stream I was going to hit was always an easy in-and-out affair with four bridges in 3 miles up the fire lane on public land. I drove up the gravel road, dodging frost boils and looking forward to visiting the stream I haven’t seen in 9 months. As I was driving up to the second bridge, I could see a vehicle parked about a ½ mile north at the third bridge that I originally planned to fish, so I pulled over at that second bridge. It was late afternoon, the day was overcast and coolish, but it was humid and the sweet odors of spring held heavy in the air. It was a late winter that year and though it was only a week from Memorial Day weekend, there was still snow in the ditches and most of the trees hadn’t opened up yet. But trilliums blanketed the forest floor and grouse drummed...a fine welcome home.

I suited up, rigged my rod and headed upstream. I was picking up some small brookies in the riffles with a very buoyant Adams and missed a couple strikes from obviously larger fish. There was a bend ahead with a deep run on the outside corner that always held larger fish, so I changed to a hare’s ear and put on a small split shot about 18” above the fly. As I crouched and started my approach to the bend, a movement caught my eye and I saw a flash above the alders. I tried to peer through the brush and an angler materialized. It was clear that he was fishing downstream, so I backed out and yielded the stream to him with the intent of circling around him and continue fishing up. From the dark shadows of the balsam fir and hemlocks, I saw the angler was an elderly gentleman dressed in a red flannel shirt, canvas waders, tattered vest, a wicker creel slung over his shoulder, and wielded an old bamboo fly rod. I became fixated in how he worked every seam with exact precision and surgically dissected the water. He picked up fish after fish. I noticed the green metal bait container on his wader belt, then I figured out he was fishing with worms, but he fished it much like I would with nymphs except much more thoroughly and successfully. He continued fishing past me, creeling a fish occasionally, releasing the rest. Finally he melted into the brush downstream and I returned to the stream and resumed my fishing.

After a while, I started hearing rumbling to the west and it was getting quite dark, so I decided to reel up and bushwack my way back to the road. I was half-hoping to be able maybe intercept the old guy at his vehicle, I really wanted to hear how he did and maybe he could impart some wisdom. But when I finally stumbled onto the road, his vehicle was gone and it suddenly felt lonelier than usual. I walked back to my car, listening to grouse drumming and woodcock peenting…rain drops began to pelt me just as I got to the car. The image of that elderly angler never left me…the way he so thoroughly fished the stream and though he was at least 50 years my senior, he moved with such stealth. I hope one day to be that gentleman.

Postscript: About 8 years after that encounter, while grouse hunting I found this plaque on an ancient spruce tree overlooking the creek downstream of where the old man was parked. Speculation from those who were aware of this site was that an old doctor from Rice Lake had his ashes, fly vest, waders, and Southbend cane rod buried under the pile of rock at the base of the tree. I never did find out the identity of the old angler or who was memorialized on the plaque....it's perhaps best that way. I like to think it was the same old man.

AlexP
Master Guide

Re: 40 years ago this spring

Post by AlexP »

Great writing Gerard, really enjoyed it. Hope you get to wet a line, fishing has been good East of us.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

AlexP wrote:
04/12/22 12:33
Great writing Gerard, really enjoyed it. Hope you get to wet a line, fishing has been good East of us.
Thanks, Alex! Walked the upper river above town on Saturday at the swinging gate, clouds of stoneflies and pods of rising fish. Looks like it'll be another week or so before I'll venture out judging by the forecasts and my spring to-do list.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

A wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Gerard, nicely written.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Thank you for sharing.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Catch 22
Guide

Post by Catch 22 »

Nice story.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Hey Gerard: Didn't know you' were a writer. Good stuff. Very clear. Keep at it.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Nice text Gerald. What a great memory.
Heritage and inspiration.
It might have be nice to meet the old guy, but the memory is complete and whole just as it is.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Good story and writing. Yeah.

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Great story Gerard! Thanks for posting and please post some others.
I hope to be like the old angler when I grow up!
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

mdwinks
Sport

Post by mdwinks »

Nice story indeed. It's nice to see anglers of different generations than our own and see them in the best light. Perhaps we're seeing a glimpse of who they really are, or maybe a projection of who we wish we are/were. Either way, its a connection that can leave an impression.

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Now thats a great story, the picture of the plaque reminds me of one made of wood on a salmon pool on a river in Cape Breton,NS. In this case many people know that the person noted on the plaque had his ashes on that site and its common when leaving that pool, after fishing to stick a salmon fly in the plaque. Over the years I've put a few flies in it myself.
Bruce

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”