ZYZ S-Handle Fly Rees

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

SecondHandWolf
Guide

ZYZ S-Handle Fly Rees

Post by SecondHandWolf »

Are ZYZ S-Handle Fly reels still being made? Looking for the 3" model. If not, who might still have a supply?

Many Thanks

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: ZYZ S-Handle Fly Rees

Post by SpringCreek »

I don't believe the ZYZ reels are being made any longer. The owner/maker passed away from cancer some time back and production stopped.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Try this : www.archuletasreelworks.com/fly-reel-service-repair. He usually has parts for everything or can make you one.

Tom

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Mr. Zhu passed away. The reels are longer made, you might find one second hand.
Take a look at the Iwana reels, you will not be disappointed.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Spring Creek / Cappy, do you mean Mr Youxing Zhu has passed away, the owner of Zhu’s company? If so, that’s very unfortunate. He was a kind man who genuinely felt passion for fly fishing and making cane rods. He liked chatting with me as his mentor at building cane rods was Canadian also, and I think he felt a kinship because of that. I bought two rods directly from him 6 years ago as a curiosity I guess, and both turned out to be respectable rods for the cost, and one of the two an unexpectedly good taper even.

It may be family run now, as there is a current website “ zhuchin.com “ which lists the rods ($199 - $259 ) reels ( $199 ) and silk lines ($67) that appear identical to those Zhu sold. I don’t know if they’re just moving along old stock or continuing production however. The site doesn’t seem to present much for contact info and feels somewhat incomplete though. I don’t know if it’s functional even for a sale, but seems quite current.

I’m very sorry to know that it appears Mr Zhu has passed away.
Last edited by adrien schnee on 04/14/22 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I've one if interested. PM for more pics,etc.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

adrien schnee wrote:
04/14/22 05:25
Spring Creek / Cappy, do you mean Mr Youxing Zhu has passed away, the owner of Zhu’s company? If so, that’s very unfortunate. He was a kind man who genuinely felt passion for fly fishing and making cane rods. He liked chatting with me as his mentor at building cane rods was Canadian also, and I think he felt a kinship because of that. I bought two rods directly from him 6 years ago as a curiosity I guess, and both turned out to be respectable rods for the cost, and one of the two an unexpectedly good taper even.
ZYZ reels were made by Zhu Youzhong who passed away from liver cancer at least a couple of years ago. I don't think we are talking about the same person, but can't validate that.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thank you Jim. It’s possible that Youzhong and Youxing were brothers even. I looked back at some of the communications from years ago with Youxing and he found it frustrating that the older, more skilled bamboo workers were becoming fewer and fewer and the younger workers wanted to make things quickly and without passion or devotion to the craft. I noticed too that he mentioned the reels were hand made and took a lot of time and had a high cost of production which resulted in low profits for them, as they sold for a fairly low cost on eBay. A friend of mine bought one or two of the reels and the ones he received are also unexpectedly well done for what he paid. Still going after several years I think and decent tolerances and finishing if I remember correctly. I know not all were though, and I recall some received reels with issues.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

I would second the recommendation to look at Iwana reels. Built by another Chinese reel maker who fell in love with Bogdans while studying in the states. He was also friends with Mr. Zhu. He makes a good reel and provides excellent personal customer service.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Just a quick note too, that if someone is interested in the Iwana reels, that they can also be purchased within the US from Shane at Greywolf, who is also the official agent for Vlad’s reels in the US. I think the fact that Shane is impressed enough with Iwana reels to carry them speaks a lot about their quality, as I’m quite certain he would never be willing to put his reputation behind an inferior product.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

I believe I purchased some of the last of the ZYZ reels. I have more than one, and can report that, much like Ballan reels (a reel line I do collect), the quality plummeted near the end. My early, S-handle is a no-complaints, classic looks, workhorse. My "last of its kind" reels (I bought them unquestionably on the performance of my 1st) have poor tolerance, fit & finish, with skipping drags & tippets finding the reel gaps with ease... good looks, poor performance. I actually removed an extra screw from under the spool of one, while discovering that those particular screw holes did not match up properly. Fortunately, I found that everything else was so tight, the screws were not needed to keep things in place, once I rubber-malleted the machined pieces back in place. So much for "modern classics".

Return to “Classic Reels”