I have finally found it! :(

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

I have finally found it! :(

Post by Hellmtflies »

I have finally found perhaps the absolute worst book on nymph fishing ever. In its defense, it may well be because of the translation into English but wow! This bugger is rough. It's not only verbose but contradicts itself throughout. Talk about splitting hairs and beating a subject to death on various topics, whoa. It was a complete choir to plow through this one. The book is "Chech Nymph & Other Related Fly-Fishing Methods" by Mr. Karel Krivanec et al. Published in 2007 by Grayling & Trout Publishing. So, if you are a serious nymph fisherman and happen to cross paths with this book run for cover and start drinking heavily. :)
Mark

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I have finally found it! :(

Post by creakycane »

The competition is often stiff when trying to find the “worst” book on an aspect of fly fishing. While there are typically many good ones, there are tons of poor to terrible books. I would say that half of the new flyfishing books are poorly written and/or repetitive rubbish. Technique books really suffer, since it is much easier to look up something on YouTube that try to decipher a howto book on most topics.

Karel’s Book does have translation issues, but it is a pattern book with a sprinkling of technique (in my mind). The nymphs he talks about are found in many Eastern European fly shops, along with hundreds of other Czech style nymphs. The two shops a short walk east from historic Prague carry them all. I bought a bunch, just because, but only have put them to limited use. To me, it’s like looking at a hundreds of variations of a brassie nymph. Only so interesting, IMO. Do we really need all those patterns? The Czech nymph Angler must think so.

The book was somewhat novel when published, but not one I would reread.
There have been better books written on the subject after Karel’s, in English, that are readily available, though some lack citations and credit to originators of Czech/Polish/French/Spanish techniques. I mean, if you are going to publish a book involving, say, French nymphing, you would think you would want some links back to originators and primary sources in , oh, I don’t know, France perhaps?.... maybe some semi original pictures, instead of same old publisher stock photos of northeastern trout sTreams....

Karel’s book doesn’t have to do that, since Karel and his associates are some of those originators ( or at least a generation or two removed from these originators)..

Karel’s other book on the Grayling paradise of the Vltava River is more interesting, and worth a look. I used it to plan a trip at one point and the info was very helpful and accurate. For maps, go to google!
Last edited by creakycane on 04/18/22 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Sounds like what one should suspect when trying to read a book on nymph fishing. I recently donated a new condition G.D. book on same to CFFCM, an unsolicited review copy from several years back in my newspaper days. I tried when I got it but found it unreadable.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Caneghost wrote:
04/17/22 05:17
Sounds like what one should suspect when trying to read a book on nymph fishing.
:rollin

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Could be worse. You could have tried to read "Flyfishing Through The Mid Life Crisis".
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Oh no flyslinger, not that!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Here's a book I want to see published: "Nymphing without Beads or Indicators," by Ned Neverketchm.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

flyslinger wrote:
04/17/22 16:42
Could be worse. You could have tried to read "Flyfishing Through The Mid Life Crisis".
It is bad, no question. If I were at home, I could suggest several others to avoid, but that one is slated for the next round of Little Free Library rounds.

Let someone else suffer.

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

"Flyfishing Through The Mid Life Crisis".

Gets my vote.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

eapling wrote:
06/02/23 16:51
"Flyfishing Through The Mid Life Crisis".

Gets my vote.
That is a real stinker and you can find a copy in just about any used book store. My all time worst fishing book is Miller's book on Trico's.

Return to “Book Talk”