Scam?

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Scam?

Post by Hellmtflies »

Anyone here familiar with a very new member that goes by the handle of "Roland01"? He joined just yesterday, 4-16-2022. Any information would be helpful.
Mark

Add another Scammer, "Sammie018". Both have tried to scam me in the past two days. >:
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 04/18/22 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

joep
Master Guide

Re: Scam?

Post by joep »

I had someone email me about a spool they wanted to sell me. The person had no posts and answered every email very quickly. They also sent me a professional picture from what appeared to be the same item for sale at a dealer. I just blocked the email account. I have dealt with this for more than a decade on other forums. If it seems odd, it most likely is.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

joep wrote:
04/17/22 10:11
I had someone email me about a spool they wanted to sell me. The person had no posts and answered every email very quickly. They also sent me a professional picture from what appeared to be the same item for sale at a dealer. I just blocked the email account. I have dealt with this for more than a decade on other forums. If it seems odd, it most likely is.
Yea, thanx. This one, you know.....Walks like a Duck....

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Watch out !!
These scammers are in every forum you can think of, homing in on WTB posts.
If they get thrown off a forum, they'll just re-join with a different account in a matter of minutes.
That same user name has been posted as a person to watch out for on other forums.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

If it's not immediately obvious that it's a scam, tell them that you want to send cash in an envelope to pay for the item, and ask them what their address is. If they won't give it to you....scam.

At the very least, get their paypal/zelle/venmo account and post that along with their user name.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Carlson Rod wrote:
04/17/22 10:20
Watch out !!
These scammers are in every forum you can think of, homing in on WTB posts.
If they get thrown off a forum, they'll just re-join with a different account in a matter of minutes.
That same user name has been posted as a person to watch out for on other forums.
Got it! Thanx!

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

In Search Of versus Want To Buy might be a temporary solution until the bots catch on... in a day or two. Keep reporting scammers and they'll find greener pastures, we hope. WTB means cash flowing out, and is easy for them to key on these days. We need a new code?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

JoeBolt wrote:
04/17/22 14:58
In Search Of versus Want To Buy might be a temporary solution until the bots catch on... in a day or two. Keep reporting scammers and they'll find greener pastures, we hope. WTB means cash flowing out, and is easy for them to key on these days. We need a new code?
Good thought. How about "Searching For" or "Looking to Set the Hook". :)

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

When you guys get these scammer posts, please use the "Report" button which in both a post or a PM is the Exclamation mark. We don't always read every single post that goes up in the forum, but we do check the Reported Posts/PM's on a daily basis.

Mark

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, Mark:

Will do from now on. I have had three scammers respond to my recent WTB post. They are very active again here on the Forum!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Thanks Mark will do didn’t know I could report a PM.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Thanks fellas! We want to get rid of these dirtbags as quickly as possible.

Mark

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Again, as always, Mark, thanks for all of your efforts!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I can't tell you how tempted I am to post a WTB like, "Looking for a 2 oz. Spinoza rod to replace the one I lost on my honeymoon in Maine. Top price paid!" And then let the games begin.......

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Foote would approve.
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

cwfly wrote:
04/19/22 19:17
Foote would approve.
I like to think so! ;)

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

SWCM ISO 7'6" tight ferrule. NGRPUWS. CONUS.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

The WTB scams are so frequent and across all boards that have a Classified I wonder if the scammers search engines are just set to WTB. For awhile I'm going to change WTB ads to ISO and the sellers who I do this with please let me know if you still end up with the, "Hey, a buddy of mine got that for sale. Contact him at .......". Let's see if their search engine pass by that change. So if your ad changes I still think the idea of your WTB is still there with ISO and maybe scammers won't pick that up. Let me know if they do.

Nick

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hey all
This is a new scam to me. Received this after placing my ad for the Jenkin's rod I have for sale.
Hello Customer…
Here's the conversation
Hey
francisco_javim
94' Charlie Jenkin's GA70L-60 3/4wt bamboo fly rod for sale $1,375
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
I’d like to purchase this!
Sat 9:51 AM
You sent
Hi You're the first of three who've expressed an interest in the Jenkin's rod. So, it's ours if you wish to purchase. As noted in my ad, I take check, bank check, or money order, so you need to let me know how you'd like to proceed. Thanks', Thomas
You can now message and call each other and see info like Active Status and when you've read messages.
Sat 3:02 PM
francisco_javim
My wife will be the one to come and pick it up because I’m out of town now so I won’t be available to pick it up myself
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
But I’ll be paying thru zelle
11:01 AM
You sent
I checked with my bank and they do have Zelle, though I've not used it before. I've registered and am able to receive money. I do we process the transfer? Also, where will your wife be coming from I'm retired so, am available most of the time. Let me know how we proceed. Thomas
11:20 AM
francisco_javim
Only your email That’s what I need to make the payment
francisco_javim
Your email?
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
And she will be coming from Paulina
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
??
You sent
Okay email:u2baker@hotmail.com Once the money is in my account we'll arrange for pickup. If things go through properly I'll arrange with your wife to meet in Prineville to save her a bit of time. Understand, if anything seems off in this transaction I'll pull the plug. There are a lot of scammers out here, so, I'm being cautious. Thanks Thomas
francisco_javim
LOL
francisco_javim
Don’t worry Your gonna get credited
francisco_javim
I have Successfully sent the money and I guessed you have been notified, please check your email for payment confirmation and let me know once you get it
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
??
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
Are you there?
You sent
Yes, I'm here. I'll let you know when it appears in my account. Have to take off for awhile, so, I
You sent
will contact you later today. Thanks
You sent
SECURITY ALERT ACCOUNT LIMIT This is what I received in my junk mail. You need to figure out how to get the money into my bank account. I'm not responding to junk emails. If that's not possible we're done here. Thomas Your wife could also just bring the money with her. That would work for me.
francisco_javim
It went into your junk due to bad server
francisco_javim
I contacted zelle already they said I have to send the $200 to expand your account so you can get credited
francisco_javim
Can I trust you?
francisco_javim
francisco_javim
If I send the $200 and your account get expanded will you refund my $200
12:43 PM
You sent
I spoke with my bank and they advised me that there is no limit to how much money I can receive. At this point, if you want the Jenkin's I'll go one, of two ways. I'll accept payment through PayPal which uses emails. You can send the money as a 'friend', or, I'll be happy to meet your wife in Prineville and complete the transaction there at the Starbucks on the East end of town.
3:51 PM
You sent
Thought so...bad boy!
This is the "official" notice.

We encountered a little problem while crediting your Zelle account. You have a pending payment of $1,375.00 USD but we have a problem crediting your account with that amount. The status of your Zelle account is not a business user, but the transaction your buyer made has a business transaction in the description, which makes it a business funds. So it makes your account has limit and this amount seems to be above your limit, this will not make us credit your account until you expand your limit.

Note: You have to take this urgent step to expand your Limit.

Contact the last payer of your account [The buyer] to send in an Additional payment of $200.00 USD so that your account limit can expand and we at Zelle will also be adding a COMPENSATION of $5.00 USD to you as soon as it’s done, we will credit fully into your Zelle account the total sum of $1,575.00 USD

Note:An alert has been sent to [The buyer] concerning the $200.00 USD he has to send to you, we will secure this transaction with high priority that neither the buyer nor the seller will lose funds in this transaction. Thanks for choosing Zelle
I have no desire to find out what happens to people who proceed

Thank you for using Zelle®. We look forward to serving your online auction payment needs in the future.
Sincerely,

All rights reserved. Zelle Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the USA as an electronic money.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Did you report the scammer?

Return to “Forum Announcements”