I can't figure out USPS...can you?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I can't figure out USPS...can you?

Post by BigTJ »

Fed Ex is bringing me a couple hats from Vermont. They made it to Reno Weds night. Then they arrived in Stockton CA 5 hours later. They hung out in Stockton a couple days and now they are on their way back to Reno. It’s not just USPS.

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
04/20/22 13:13
Might not be as bad if Dejoy didn't start his career by destroying sorting machines.
+1

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

I bought a SA2 spool online, it was shipped from Boise ID on May 6 (Friday) I received it yesterday May 9 (Monday) I know that doesnt fit in with the "I hate the USPS" rants but its the truth.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

What I've found kind of funny is that I've bought several items from a member in WA state. I'm in OK. We make a deal, I send him a check next day and he mails my package. Every time we've done this his package gets to my house before my envelope with check gets to his house. Maybe Priority packages move faster than first class mail but you wouldn't think so.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Years ago, when this forum was about collecting and fishing bamboo rods, our idea of a boring and endlessly repetitive thread was "What's the best eight-foot five-weight?" Times sure have changed.
:rollin

For the record, I've never had a package (or important document) lost, destroyed, or very seriously delayed by the USPS. I think it's a fantastic institution. How fortunate we are that we have several choices for quickly shipping long distances. Let's get a little perspective here, people. First World problems...
Last edited by davemaine on 05/13/22 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I've received several items destroyed by the Post Office. Have had several cards with gift cards never showing up or showing up open with gift cards missing. The price of shipping has became ridiculous and truly effects buying and selling of less expensive items.

As far as world problems, many of us would love to address those here, but like fiberglass rods those topics are verboten.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

bassman wrote:
05/12/22 19:26
Priority packages move faster than first class mail but you wouldn't think so.
They do. Priority Mail is considered a premium/expedited service where first class is a standard service. Not saying it like a wise guy, but that's the "priority" in Priority Mail...it goes first. I'm also pretty sure PM stuff is more likely to be moved by airplane, which cuts down the transit time compared with trucks.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I can be tough on the Post Office so only fair I give them credit when they do something right.

I was picking a fly rod up today and the lady said they had a package in the back that was in the same length package. She said it arrived with no label to say who was receiving it and they were ready to send it to the lost mail office. I explained I was expecting a rod about a week earlier, but it was still showing in California. Anyhow, I gave them a description of the missing rod, they opened the package in the back to identify it and sure enough it was mine.

Can't help but say this was service above and beyond and certainly showed thinking outside the box.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Since there has been so little response to my Pirate thread I'm going to say something here. If you have a printer and a computer using the USPS to do all the work for you and charge you for it is wasting money. I am loving this Pirate Ship shipping. The only investment I've made is some selfsticking label paper from Amazon and not necessary but is just so cool to use. You don't have to be a business to take advantage of this. Every package saves something and the heavy vises I just recently sold saved me plenty on postage. Some flies for a fly swap saved me over a buck in a buble envelope. These things add up and after you get the basics of how it all works it's just fun to use. Consider it. Still depending on PO but so far things have gone through really quickly for me to buyers.

Nick

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

"they opened the package in the back... and certainly showed thinking outside the box."

I thought that was a brilliant turn of phrase; like grateful happy satire! The best kind.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”