I can't figure out USPS...can you?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

I can't figure out USPS...can you?

Post by Flyman615 »

Yeah, I know, we've discussed, re-cussed and just plain cussed at the USPS many times. That said, I'd sure like to know how to figure out their services and delivery schedule.

Last Friday I bought a rod via eBay. The seller in the next state over sent it to me right away via USPS Priority Mail. I received notice from eBay it was on it's way and a tracking number. USPS said yesterday scheduled delivery would be Tuesday (today). I was delighted.

However, that's the last I've heard from USPS. According to their tracking system, it took three days to get the rod from Maple Plain, MN to St. Paul, MN. I Live 600 miles west of there and in my experience packages are always forwarded through two other regional distribution centers which take two days EACH. So now there's no way it will be delivered today. Fingers crossed...

In contrast, I ordered another item which was again sent USPS Priority Mail from Missouri on Monday this week. Today USPS Tracking has sent me no less than FIVE different updates as to where the package is/was and when it is scheduled to be delivered--Friday.

What gives? Why are packages evidently treated/tracked differently? The irony here is that the rod's value is $350 while the second package was insured for $75.

Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I can't figure out USPS...can you?

Post by steeliefool »

Size, which dictates handling. Auto sorting for regular sized package and hand handling for rods, long irregular packages.

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

I think the answer is there is no answer, at least none readily understood. Maybe it does relate to size as the poster above suggests. Most times I'm amazed how quickly they deliver. Other times there is very weird routing and it takes longer. Maybe I've been lucky, but the PO has generally treated me well. Fingers crossed for the future.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Scott,

I believe that it depends upon when and where you package is dropped off and delievered. I've had packages arrive from California in 2-days. If you seller drops off early, it may make that days sorting and get moved to the regional distribution center in time to make it on a plane or truck leaving that same day. Some facilities seem to be much slower (perhaps due to volume or the inefficiencies of the staff). I hope that your "new" Favorite(?) arrives soon.

Cheers,
Joe

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It’s called a glitch and it happens, whether it was human induced or machine induced. The good part is that 99.9999999% will show up at the designated spot and it makes every kid in the candy store nervous when it does happen.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

It was just on the news here in Florida that the Post Office is going to revise the way they handle First Class Mail. They say the new system is expected to add one or two days to the delivery time.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Last Thursday I sent a small package, Registered insured from NH 03857 to CO showing delivery by 7PM on Monday the 18th. Tracking, left Newmarket 4/14 to Nashua, next post to Boston 4/16 left Boston early Sunday morning 4/17, Tracking just now, shows in transit, don't know where? Tomorrow, maybe I'll get an update

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

I sent a package the other day to Pennsylvania. So far the route has been Saskatoon to Vancouver to California, and is making its way east now. And you wonder why shipping is expensive.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

steeliefool wrote:
04/19/22 14:17
Size, which dictates handling. Auto sorting for regular sized package and hand handling for rods, long irregular packages.
Well, this rod is only 33" in its tube. Well below the 36" length, for example, of the USPS triangular box.

SZ
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Can't enlighten, but can empathize. I had an email notice from USPS saying my package had been delivered, AS I was sitting watching my mail truck in front of house deliver my mail! Knowing the package wasn't put in the box, ran down to the end of street and asked carrier if she had my package. She didn't have any record indicating one was to be delivered. I went online and tried to track down where it was, and went to the local office where undelivered packages were returned. Nothing. Then, 2 days later, knock on door, it's my regular carrier, with my package, apologizing for his vacation replacement not delivering. Apparently, the boots on the ground aren't necessarily synced up with their computer tracking system. And, just last week, had another package notified it had arrive, arrived a day later.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

No one here can figure USPS out. If they could there wouldn't be so many threads about it.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

As a wise man once said , " If you want to screw something up, get the Government involved in it "

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

In 2021 the USPS delivered 167 billion pieces of mail, 60 billion were 1st class. They added over 5,000 new addresses daily in 2021. UPS delivered 16,7 bi.lion and Fed Ex 3.4 billion. Reasonable people should be able to understand why things don't always work out the way you want. These numbers may not be exact but they are very close, google it. I could cite many, many instances of packages arriving exactly as stated but of course that wouldn't fit
into the preconceived ideas many have, " don't bother me with facts and the truth, my mind is made up" No I'm not a USPS employee or retiree just trying to
head off the inevitable anti-govt rant that usually comes with this topic

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Might not be as bad if Dejoy didn't start his career by destroying sorting machines.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Years ago, when this forum was about collecting and fishing bamboo rods, our idea of a boring and endlessly repetitive thread was "What's the best eight-foot five-weight?" Times sure have changed.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

jalberts1 wrote:
04/20/22 12:06
In 2021 the USPS delivered 167 billion pieces of mail, 60 billion were 1st class. They added over 5,000 new addresses daily in 2021. UPS delivered 16,7 bi.lion and Fed Ex 3.4 billion. Reasonable people should be able to understand why things don't always work out the way you want. These numbers may not be exact but they are very close, google it. I could cite many, many instances of packages arriving exactly as stated but of course that wouldn't fit
into the preconceived ideas many have, " don't bother me with facts and the truth, my mind is made up" No I'm not a USPS employee or retiree just trying to
head off the inevitable anti-govt rant that usually comes with this topic
Most of us don't really care if USPS delivers the daily "Google Fiber is Available" junk mail; we simply want our vintage fly gear to arrive safely. I've had one rod delivered broken with the box in an L-shape. I confronted the postal employee and only then did they offer to put some sort of "damaged" sticker on the package so that I could easily file a claim. They are not perfect, but usually get it right.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

There really isn't any one "answer" because there are far too many variables. One is that there are times when a package only going a state or two away take longer because they get routed from truck to truck where long haul stuff is put on a plane and quickly winds up at the nearest sorting facility. So yeah, a rod from the other side of the country will sometimes get there faster than one 500 miles away.

I had a rod wrapped in nothing more than bubble wrap make it here safely, and one carefully boxed in cardboard wind up in several pieces...logic doesn't have to apply.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

G-ManBart wrote:
04/21/22 00:11
There really isn't any one "answer" because there are far too many variables. One is that there are times when a package only going a state or two away take longer because they get routed from truck to truck where long haul stuff is put on a plane and quickly winds up at the nearest sorting facility. So yeah, a rod from the other side of the country will sometimes get there faster than one 500 miles away.

I had a rod wrapped in nothing more than bubble wrap make it here safely, and one carefully boxed in cardboard wind up in several pieces...logic doesn't have to apply.
hello, g-man;
do you remember marvin runyan? he destroyed tva and then moved on to cripple or destroy ben franklin's usps.
his legacy remains.

regards, jim w
Last edited by Seabowisha Salmo T on 04/21/22 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

If anyone figures it out let me know. One order of mine tracked to Oklahoma City and would have had to go through my town to get there! Another tracked to my town, then to Kansas City, then back here before it was delivered.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I just had an interesting one from USPS. Got a package "Return to Sender". A recent fly swap here used the usual self-addressed envelopes and this one seems to have run into a little problem. Maybe it was one of those on You Tube where the mail truck fell in a ditch full of dirt water. Here's what I got back to my return address.
It was in a plastic envelope with an apology from PO but when I had to put it into another bubble wrap and re-address it to the right person I told the Post Mistress the USPS should cover this as part of their $50 insurance. If I wanted fill out a dozen forms and wait a month I might get free shipping but otherwise nothing she could do so I had to cover what had already been paid once and they messed up.

PS...I should edit to add that the plastic tub the flies were in was not damaged in any way. Not a crack so we got lucky that way.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”