Early Walker ...

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Early Walker ...

Post by reelsmith »

Arthur Walker's earliest trout reels, the 50-Series, rarely show up and when they do they aren't often recognized. All that I have seen (only four) have been unmarked. Some have the model number stamped on the bottom of the foot, as is the case with a model 54 that belongs to a friend. The one pictured below is a model 53.

These reels differ from the later numbered reels (1, 2, etc.) and the TR-Series in a few ways. First, they are simple click/pawl reels and lack the complex click/drag that was used on later reels. Note the bands do not wrap around to the spool and instead the pillars are rubber-to-rubber, like an EVH fly reel. All pillars are shouldered, which later was only done on salmon reels, and the front and rear plates are sculpted, rather than being just flat.

Each of these early Walkers I have seen have had differences between them, such as the bearing caps, crank collar screws and size of the click spring, suggesting the design was a work in progress.

If you can add any insight to the 50-Series, please do! I'd like to know more.

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith on 04/23/22 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Early Walker ...

Post by Short Tip »

Oh yeah! That's a great looking reel and a nice bit of history!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

A truly classic fly reel if there ever was one!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I come back to this reel often... it is so charming.

Many thanks for the little details.

Audibly, is there more of a click or a ratchet sound ? Or how would you describe.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
04/30/22 10:20
Audibly, is there more of a click or a ratchet sound ? Or how would you describe.
Hey Brian.

These reels sound nothing like the later reels, which while having a great drag, in my opinion the sound is not particularly pleasing. The 50-series reels sound very much like EVH "Peerless" reels, or like many of the classic, American, click/pawl reels with plenty of teeth in the gear.

Since my OP, I have spoken with another collector who has been keeping his eye on these reels. He knew about several of the ones I knew of, plus two I had not. So, that's two guys each keeping their nose to the ground for 40ish years and have seen a grand total of six. Compare that to the TR-Series, which there are eight of right now on The Classic Fly Fisherman alone.

Also, the catalog cut in the OP does not show the 2" Model 50 (see below) ...my dream Walker !

Dean.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Thanks kindly Dean as I once again find myself trying to hear that click thru this computer screen.

Hole in foot is massive and fascinating.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

Beautiful reel and photos Dean, thanks for posting!

Return to “Classic Reels”