Wes Jordan jeopardy ?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

greyreefer5
Guide

Wes Jordan jeopardy ?

Post by greyreefer5 »

Will be fishing the Missouri near Craig this week. I live in Montana and have fished here many times. I usually fish 5 or 6wt contemporary rods. The fish here are routinely 18" to 22" and can introduce you that stuff under your fly line that you seldom see. Looking for good BWO's this week and would love to use a very nice Wes Jordan that I bought here last year. My question to someone who owns one: Will this rod handle these fish? Love to hear from you if you have actual experience. Bought it to fish it, but want to do it more than once.....

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wes Jordan jeopardy ?

Post by Webfly »

Totally depends on which model you have...
Last edited by Webfly on 04/23/22 12:29, edited 3 times in total.

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

7.5 for 6wt

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I would think that the 8', 4 3/8's oz would be more appropriate for the Missouri fish.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

I concur that an Orvis 7 1/2 3 7/8 might be little light on the MO. I had that model long ago. I have fished the MO a couple times a year for close to 25 years from April to Oct and my 'go-to' rod for the MO is an 8 1/2 6 wt built roughly on a Howells taper by Txtrout (on this forum). I have occasionally gone to a 8'3" 5/6 to fish tricos and soft hackles but i like the bigger rod for the average size of these fish.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

I would also recommend using the 8’ 4 3/8oz. model Wes Jordan. If you are wading ,you have to haul/horse/drag those hot trout back upstream. A rod with Backbone comes in handy.

Trains&Canes
Guide

Post by Trains&Canes »

There is tremendous excitement in hooking a big fish on a 7' 6" rod for a five. He runs you into the backing, you chase him downstream, find an eddy and work him in. If you are fishing BWO's you are probably using 4 or 5X. When you land him, you love the rod even more. Go for it. If it breaks, don't blame me....or the rod.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Agree with T&C, way more exciting on the 7.5 6wt and I wouldn't consider yourself "undergunned" either. Especially if you don't have an 8' 4 3/8 model.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I've fished the Mo quite a bit and I'd say your rod is fully capable of landing the hot fish there, but in my opinion is definitely shorter than ideal for handling line on the water. With baetis I think you'll be using 5X or, even bettter, 6X. Any rod that handles a 6 wt. line will be capable of withstanding the maximum pull that 5X or 6X will allow. One real handicap, in my opinion, is that a 7 1/2' rod won't mend line as well, so getting a drag-free drift will be harder in mixed currents and especially the longer the cast. Also, whatever rod you use, staying downstream of the fish as you play it will help greatly. Trying to pull a big fish upstream against the current with nearly all of your fly line out will tax your tippet but getting downstream of the fish will make it much easier. Shorter rods mean more line lying on the water and the pull of a big running Mo rainbow against a bow of line on the water can break a tippet without much pull by you. 8- 8 1/2' rods are better for the Mo.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I agree that it can be done if you like to kill fish, especially if the fishing will be done any time in the hot summer months of Montana.

Trains&Canes
Guide

Post by Trains&Canes »

We all should be mindful of water temps, and not just in Montana. Even in places with no temporary regs, the fly shops, game and fish departments, TU notifications, etc. should help us know when to leave the fish alone.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I know we can't be perfect, and it seems like fun to fight large fish under gunned, but I think the days of Lee Wulff and his 6' one piece rod for salmon are over. I believe in carrying the correct gun for the quarry and have learned the hard way myself, and that was when water temps were fine and everything seemed perfect... I'd stick with the 8'+ Orvis for Missouri fish...

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Lee Wulff landed his fish quickly.

I'm not sure how a 7.5 foot (or shorter) six weight rod is any different from an 8 foot six weight rod when it comes to landing fish? The type of fishing the OP mentioned involves fine tippets. They would be the limiting factor to how quickly one could horse in a decent trout in heavy water, right?

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

davemaine wrote:
05/13/22 06:21

I'm not sure how a 7.5 foot (or shorter) six weight rod is any different from an 8 foot six weight rod when it comes to landing fish? The type of fishing the OP mentioned involves fine tippets. They would be the limiting factor to how quickly one could horse in a decent trout in heavy water, right?
+1

Trutta
Guide

Post by Trutta »

+2 oh you can use a 6wt, but it better not be less than 8ft?

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

I wanted to add, though, that I agree with Webfly's general sentiments.

If the water temperature is such that we could kill a fish by playing it, we should not be fishing. And I agree with using the right tool for the job.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I'm with 16pmd. I fish the Bighorn with either a 7' 9" pent or quad in a five weight and don't feel undergunned. The only difference is the fish there are not leader shy (4X) so I can get them in quickly.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

davemaine wrote:
05/13/22 06:21
Lee Wulff was a pro. It sounds you guys are as well, most aren't. What about the majority, and less experienced? It comes with time and experience fighting big fish, especially with a shorter rod, 6 wt or not in my opinion.

Low Profile
Guide

Post by Low Profile »

Would somebody please explain how exactly a shorter rod is a disadvantage in the time it takes to land a fish? My only regret for using a shorter rod would be a handicap in reaching a rising fish, presentation and line control none of which have nothing to do with dealing with the fish once it's hooked. Shorter rods in medium to heavier line weights are very capable and efficient and actually shine in windy conditions delivering dry flies. The only deviation would be tippet strength and that where longer limber rods would provide better protection against breakage. Hell it's mid May, the Hendrickson hatch is on it's way out and the discussion is is already about water temps !!

Low Profile

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I don't want to get into the physics of the lever but it's well known that for every given line weight, the longer the rod the more advantage to the fish and the shorter the rod the more advantage to the angler in landing a fish in a timely manner. That's why bill fish rods are very short.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”