Orvis Penn’s Creek action/value/evaluation

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Hi All,

Re: Orvis Penn's Creek. 7', 2/2, 3 3/8oz. 4 wt. from late 90’s era in very good condition

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts/impressions/feelings on the above rod including would it be a good entry level bamboo rod—if not I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

My current favorite is an early 2000’s Orvis 711 graphite with Cortland 444 DT4F line. Also, I enjoy an Orvis Tippet 7.5’ 3wt and
6.5’ 2wt. I do not like fast rods…with that said I have never fished what I would consider a slow rod but don’t think they would be my cup of tea.

Regarding the Penn’s Creek I have concerns about resale value/desirability if I don’t like it.

Thank you to all of those willing to share their insight with me..

Kind Regards,

PAGH

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

One of the modern (later than 2000 if I’m correct) made bamboo rods. Mostly considered not as collectible as the pre 1980’s rods. These are also a bit heavier (due to used hardware) than the earlier rods.

Although sold for $2500+ by Orvis, due to not being considered collectible resale value doesn’t hold well. Probably around $600-700. Maybe even less if it’s one one tipper.

PAGH
Guide

Re: Orvis Penn’s Creek action/value/evaluation

Post by PAGH »

ibookje,

Thank you very much. I’m just going to pass and look for an older Orvis 4wt or lighter 5wt.

Kind Regards,

PAGH

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Jay, I’ve never seen a Penn’s Creek sell at $600-700 ( though it certainly doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened ). They’re $3000 new and Carmine, who tends to have very reasonable prices on average, has his currently listed at $1350 and Marc and Jonas at Spinoza quickly sold the Adirondack which is essentially the same rod in 7 1/2 feet 5 wt for about $1600 a month or two ago.

I do agree with you that this still represents a significant depreciation from new, but that applies to a Winston or T and T as well, with new retail prices at $3000 - $4000 plus.

I believe with their swelled butt that the action might be a bit more tip oriented than some of the previous generations of rods, but have never seen or cast one. Quite handsome rods though.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I have to agree about $600-700 being too low. If I saw one that looked nice for $1K or less I'd almost certainly grab it knowing I could flip it for more if I wasn't thrilled with how it feels. The problem is if you want an Orvis bamboo 4wt that's older, it's going to be a Seven Four, and those are highly sought after now. The only true 5wt that comes to mind is the 7'6" Far & Fine and those are similarly sought after.

Once you start talking about roughly $1,500 you can get a custom rod from a number of guys who do really nice work. You can get them to build you something that would fit what you're looking for, which sounds like maybe a touch on the fast side for bamboo.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

G-ManBart wrote:
04/27/22 20:42
The problem is if you want an Orvis bamboo 4wt that's older, it's going to be a Seven Four, and those are highly sought after now. The only true 5wt that comes to mind is the 7'6" Far & Fine and those are similarly sought after.
The 7 1/2' 2-piece Midge was sold as a 5wt, but most would likely use a 4wt on it.

I agree with Adrien: they are nice looking rods.

Cheers,
Joe

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
04/28/22 11:57
G-ManBart wrote:
04/27/22 20:42
The problem is if you want an Orvis bamboo 4wt that's older, it's going to be a Seven Four, and those are highly sought after now. The only true 5wt that comes to mind is the 7'6" Far & Fine and those are similarly sought after.
The 7 1/2' 2-piece Midge was sold as a 5wt, but most would likely use a 4wt on it.

I agree with Adrien: they are nice looking rods.

Cheers,
Joe
Good catch....I totally forgot about the Midge and I even own one!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Unlike most rod companies , Orvis marked their rods for weight forward lines (i.e., the Orvis Midge was marked for a WF5). I fish mine with a either DT4 or a WF5.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

The Flea is a 4 as well and a damn good one at that.

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Joe,

How would you compare The Midge to the grapite 711?

Thank you to all who offered input.

PAGH

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I don't have the graphite 711 and have not yet fished the midge, so can't really be of any use in comparing them

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Joe,

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Pagh, even among vintage cane rods the midge is considered a slow model. It would not be an ideal choice perhaps for a first serious foray into bamboo. Though if you ever have a chance to cast one I would still recommend it as it may possibly suit you.

The 7 foot 3 3/8 model, though rated for a 6, often will handle a 4 very nicely and with a bit of authority. The one I had was a wonderful 4 wt and I regret selling it somewhat. I just didn’t find a 7 footer practical for much of the fishing I do. I would also recommend casting this model if you see one available, as it’s likely going to be best suited to a 5 or a 4 wt line. They can be found in the $600 - $750 range as two tippers and quite a lot less as a Madison grade one tipper.

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Adrien,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your insight and experience.

PAGH

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

headwaters wrote:
04/28/22 19:49
Unlike most rod companies , Orvis marked their rods for weight forward lines (i.e., the Orvis Midge was marked for a WF5). I fish mine with a either DT4 or a WF5.
I got a Midge in a swap in1968, as I recall.

It was marked for DT4. No reference to a WF5.

I have seen Midges for sale, stating one weight or the other. Bob Selb has had two 4 wt rods recently, and there is 5 wt listed on eBay, so I was curious about any difference.

I later swapped it for Leonard Duracane.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo PAG - my first cane was/is a Flea, 6'6" 4 wt though it's almost a 3wt. I've had the 7'11" for decades and enjoy its similar full flex and easy going character. Last year my Valley Forge TU had the Midge/Nymph come up and I nabbed it from the raffle winner, who preferred the lighter, faster current generation graphites. I had long chased after the original Orvis Nymph, which is a full 8 feet and 4wt, but it always felt soupy even compared to my old Leonard 40L and a Wagner 8'3wt, both of which are willows in most people's hands. The Nymph is 7'9" and may be a (8') Nymph tip on top of the Midge butt, and frankly, I prefer the action of the Frankenstein vs. the original.

The recent series of Orvii cane I think took a lesson from the success of the 7'6" 5wt Far'nFine and all are speedier and more of the current dry fly actions.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

PAGH,

I just bought single tip version as my first. It’s a quicker rod than I was expecting, but it’s also the first bamboo rod I’ve touched outside of an old cane pole. I read about bamboo and had this idea that it was a noodly material, but the butts of this rod has more backbone than my superfine glass rods, both 3&4 weights. I think this will make a great, versatile rod. It roll casts and can lay out a tight loop.

Not to ramble on too much, but I also bought an Adirondack, and that too is a powerful rod. If one was coming from modern graphite, these are great transition rods. I wouldn’t hesitate in getting one.

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

I bought a used Penn's Creek. It is nice, and has a very strong turn over at the end. No complaints, though the recorcinal stripes would bother some. A nice, useful and enjoyable rod, in my limited opinion.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”