What's the chance of a missed opportunity

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

nunc
Guide

What's the chance of a missed opportunity

Post by nunc »

I was rummaging around the Heddon postings on antiquerodandreels.com and happened across photos of two model 60 De Luxes with hand–checkered walnut grips; the first appears to be a hammer handle w/ up locking seat, the second, round w/ down locking seat. Going from there to the catalog listings, a model 65 De Luxe w/ checkered walnut grip first appears in the 1932 catalog, quickly morphs into a model 60 De Luxe in 1933, and falls by the wayside in 1946.

that's the background, now for my question :

not so very long ago I came across what I remember being an unmarked 8½' rod w/ checkered walnut grip … take the 8½' with a little salt, but checkered walnut grip is Gospel. Just how likely is it that I inadvertently passed over a Heddon 60 or 65 ?

( you there in the back, quit your snickering )

thanks, folks
nunc

jvh
Master Guide

Re: What's the chance of a missed opportunity

Post by jvh »

Maybe yes, maybe no. Really hard to say. I've seen other rods with a walnut grip with checkering, Heddon wasn't the only ones to do it. Bernard Hills made some after he Heddon. They are just as nice. I saw a South Bend with a wood grip that someone added the checkering. (Poorly)
So don't worry about it. Others are out there.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Horrocks-Ibbotson's "Golden Rod", "Oriskany" and "Saranac" models from the mid-1930's all came with a checkered walnut grip that looks identical to Heddon's Model 60. Check out the 1935 catalog from our Horrocks-Ibbotson Catalogs thread in this same sub-forum for a photo of the grip.
Mark

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

27% chance it was a Heddon.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Good enough to say "aaaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh"!!!

You aren't alone, I once passed up a Truckee River Special for $600 (maybe 8 years ago), another time a Heddon 8.5' 1.75F project rod for free before I knew anything about Heddons, boy do I feel like a moron about both now.

-John

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

As explained to me this walnut grip with the checkering were made for Heddon by Winchester. Bernard Hills had an inventory of them in his post-Heddon shop. I also own one of his rods with this grip on it. There is a contemporary builder who also put these on special order rods. In this case I thought it was noted these were newly made. They certainly add to the look of a rod.

Carl

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Sinclair's Heddon book states the grips were made by Remington Arms Co.

nunc
Guide

Post by nunc »

Okay, I thought I had come to terms with my level of ignorance on this so that bliss might prevail again, but …

Mr Peales, I'm really going to need some details on just how you calculated a 27% chance it was Heddon …

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”