Your WTB Experience in Rod Search

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Your WTB Experience in Rod Search

Post by billems »

I have had great experiences with the CFRF's classifieds. But let's say you're wanting a specific fly rod in a certain length or weight, and post the intention. If you've tried it and found success, I'd like to know about it.

archer829
Guide

Re: Your WTB Experience in Rod Search

Post by archer829 »

I’m 1 for 2 in the past couple of years….

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

I am about 50% ,doesn’t hurt to ask some dealers to keep an eye out also best of luck

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

The thing that has driven a few people nuts is the scams from guys signing on and sending this, "Hey, my buddy got dat. Email him". Otherwise my luck has not been good but then I've looked for rare items or a rod by serial #.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I have only had one WTB ad for rattan or wood grips. I received a few answers from members of the forum. Those responses were very informational and very useful, but none had items for sale. The only response offering a grip was an obvious scam. I requested an additional photo from an angle not originally provided and they never emailed me again. Scam.

Besides the ideas above, you might want to search the thread were members posts their collections. Maybe you find a member with the same rod you are looking for, or a few from your desired maker and see if they have it or they can give you ideas.

Tight Lines

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

WTB is a crap shoot. The phrase itself brings the bad actors out of the woodwork.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

jim royston wrote:
05/02/22 12:15
WTB is a crap shoot. The phrase itself brings the bad actors out of the woodwork.
Agreed. And the scammers steal photos from legitimate rod dealers and recent sellers. BEWARE!!
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

I have been happy. Two times out of two. Both were tip searches.

bamboo....mike

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

I have only had one WTB for a rod, and it was successful. Frankly, ALL of my transactions on this board have been satisfactory, whether the item was bought, sold, kept, or returned. The members here are first rate.

Ken

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

No luck here on a very specific search

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I can think of 3 fairly obscure items I secured through wtb. The fine board members who responded were active here, and just wanted to move an item on to an appreciative buyer. Great transactions. I emphasize that these were active board members.
I’ve advertised for many other items with no luck. In the last couple of years, I’ve received the obvious scammer pm’s; never before that. Worth a try, but buyer beware.

pontiac787
Guide

Post by pontiac787 »

I have had success with a rod as well as odds and ends. In my experience fisherman or those who truly enjoy the hobby of collecting will offer fair prices. There are also those who have an overly optimistic view of what their item is worth. As mentioned above, be smart about who you are dealing with and you’ll do fine, providing someone has and is willing to part with the item you are looking for.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”