Orvis CFO III disc, English made

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

PAGH
Guide

Orvis CFO III disc, English made

Post by PAGH »

Those of you who fish or have fished the above reel; what are your thoughts on the function of the reel, pros, cons, current value, etc. ?

Thank you in advance for sharing.

PAGH

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Re: Orvis CFO III disc, English made

Post by ffftroutbum »

Are you referring to the green BRF version? I think they made the later bronze one in England too for a very short time. But I may be wrong.

Mike1227
Sport

Post by Mike1227 »

My neighbor has a Battenkill 5/6 which has a disc drag. From pictures that I have seen the CFO Disc looks to be similar. Personally I'm not a fan of disc drag reels, so I have no sense of the value of one. I have seen a few for sale on ebay with the highest price being the ones available from Japan sellers.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

PAGH wrote:
04/30/22 23:11
Those of you who fish or have fished the above reel; what are your thoughts on the function of the reel, pros, cons, current value, etc. ?

Thank you in advance for sharing.

PAGH
There were at least two versions of CFO III Disc that were made in England. The earlier reels were green and introduced in 1994. The later reels were a brown/bronze color and introduced in 2004. They have porting around the perimeter of the frame unlike all prior versions. At some point after that Orvis had the reels made in either Korea or China (nobody seems to agree) for at least a few years.

The CFO Discs I have are all green and are extremely nice reels. They have a smooth drag and a nice sound. They are far nicer than the Battenkill disc reels....no comparison at all (I have a few of those as well).

Value will vary quite a bit, but I'd expect to pay at least $200 for a clean CFO disc that was made in England and up to maybe $300 if it's like new and has the factory pouch (most I've seen were green nylon and brown leather).

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Everyone thank you very much for sharing your information and thoughts. It’s a green one. I have a CFO III that I like.

G-ManBart,
Really appreciate your insight. Do you fish Orvis rods as well?

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

PAGH wrote:
05/01/22 12:59
Everyone thank you very much for sharing your information and thoughts. It’s a green one. I have a CFO III that I like.

G-ManBart,
Really appreciate your insight. Do you fish Orvis rods as well?
I have quite a few different rod brands, but more Orvis than anything else. I have about a dozen Orvis bamboo rods, a similar number of early graphite Orvis rods, a couple of modern Orvis graphite and a couple Orvis fiberglass rods as well. Luckily, I have a very tolerant wife :)

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

G-ManBart,

Sounds like you are doubly blessed. I’m looking for a gray Orvis 711 (first generation) and an Ultrafine 2 wt.

Are you based in PA?

Return to “Classic Reels”