thoughts on "improvements", effect value?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

wineslob
Master Guide

thoughts on "improvements", effect value?

Post by wineslob »

I have a few rods that I'm restoring and some of them can be "improved" with the addition of extra guides.
What are the thoughts on what this does to the value?

Example: A Monty Fishkill can really use extra guides on the tip sections. Say they are worth $200 (hypothetical) un-improved, would adding guides reduce/increase the value?

jvh
Master Guide

Re: thoughts on "improvements", effect value?

Post by jvh »

On that rod I don't think it matters. It may be a bit easier to sell with extra guides but doesn't add value. If it was a rare or highly collectable rod it would decrease the value.
Just my opinion.
Vern
Last edited by jvh on 05/03/22 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It’s neutral and considered part of the marginal increase of the restoration. It might increase how desirable the rod is by a tad. But no real effect on price. It’s worth doing - I add 2-3 guides to every low grade Heddon I restore and I suspect the future owners will appreciate the improvement too.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Looking at it as a buyer I think it would make me pay a touch more but the more important thing would be the increased curb appeal. If nothing else the buyer is going to think "this guy knows what he's doing and made the rod cast better" or something along those lines.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Generally, I buy a rod with the intent to keep and fish it. Previously though, the "garage sale specials" that had good bones were refinished and sold.
I had a carpenter buy rods from me to hang over mantles on Adirondack camps he was restoring.
Having said that, I refinished a Tonka Queen and used Garrison's guide spacing for a 7'9" rod and it made a world of difference in the demeanor of the rod. If I was in the position to own Payne and Garrison, Gillum, etc. I'd think twice about restoration or pay one of the premier makers to do it.
Lower end and mid grades can certainly benefit from upgrades and make them a better rod to take to the stream.
G-ManBart hit the nail on the head.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Some additional thoughts - any increase in value on lower end rods - which we all would agree would be tied to the rod’s improved performance - would be small enough - say 5% to 10% or so - that it will be pretty much lost in the negotiated price. That’s why I consider the price difference to be for practical purposes neutral. We are talking 10 to 30 bucks on $200-300 rods.

I would also argue that 50% or more of buyers at that price point are entry-level collectors /fisherman and are probably not at the point to be knowledgeable enough to count the # of guides and therefore probably wouldn’t even notice.
Last edited by BigTJ on 05/04/22 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Value wise I agree that the price point improvement is minimal, and may even be nil depending on the cost of components to bring a sub par rod to a respectable one. I don't agree that those who purchase or use lower end rods are unsophisticated though, but may not have the financial means or liquid funds to support the cream of the crop.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

You are right I used the wrong word. I replaced with knowledgeable. The point is that first starting out the # of guides on a rod isn’t something that most people understand the importance of.

John

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Thanks guys!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”