Restoration, much appreciated!

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

ReelPatina
Guide

Restoration, much appreciated!

Post by ReelPatina »

Some time back I attempted to start a thread highlighting the rare 3” Hardy Perfect wide drum reels. My particular reel had some damage to the bridge where the reel foot attached to the reel. Several fixes were discussed and individuals to complete those repairs were suggested.

My particular reel was sent to Mr. John Mackenzie for restoration services and a proper restoration is exactly what I received. We had a very enjoyable back and forth via email in which he spoke of his ideas on the repair and what he felt he could accomplish. I was very happy and in a good place where we left it and he went to work.

I was sent photographs of his headway along the journey, as it was a very sensitive repair both structurally and aesthetically.

We have all seen repaired reels and everyone repairing reels does so to the best of their abilities, we are all very grateful for that. We have all seen older reels that look like steampunk art exhibits. Once again we are thankful that these gentlemen worked with what they had at the time to keep these fine pieces of both art and history with us and not in the recycle bin.

What I received from Mr. Mackenzie really made me step back in all aspects. He is not a simple reel repairman, I would use a better descriptor and say he is an Artist. He properly restored both structurally and aesthetically my vintage rare 3” Hardy Perfect wide drum. Simple as that, it is a proper restoration just like his screen name in every sense of the word.

Structurally he was able to drill and install a rod through the frame along with use his special Hardy-esque cement compound. After structurally attending to this reel he then like an artist restoring a work of art was able appropriately semi blend this repair so that it isn’t totally invisible, but will age along with the reel.

The damage to this reel is true, it occurred, and it is present. Mr. Mackenzie’s repair and restoration is true, it occurred, and it is too present. This isn’t a matter of erasing this damage, that can not ever happen. It’s a matter of the proper fix and then the proper clean up . He has done absolutely that. The restoration is a part of the reel and if you saw it in person it seems like it belongs there as the appropriate subtle battle scar.

I am posting this to once again thank Mr. Mackenzie for the time he spent on this restoration and to properly acknowledge the craftsmanship level that I personally feel he has. I know some of you were interested in how this repair was turning out so here are some pictures.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Restoration, much appreciated!

Post by BigTJ »

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful post! I agree 100% - John is as good as it gets and a great guy to boot we are lucky to have him as a resource.

John

flyuvo
Guide

Post by flyuvo »

Great appreciation post. Glad you’re happy with John‘s excellent work. I have had a few reels repaired by him and I was always satisfied to the best.
Urs

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

+1 same must be said from me based on my experience with him. Does great work and I found him very reasonable as others have stated he is a great resource.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello, as good as wielding a weld is to sink a screw. it pleases me that you decided to keep the rare reel and having it put back in service as opposed to having the seller resell it to some cretin as
"parts".

regards, jim w

Return to “Classic Reels”