FIshing Grand Lake Stream Maine, in Mid May

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Srock
Sport

FIshing Grand Lake Stream Maine, in Mid May

Post by Srock »

I will have the chance to fish Grand Lake Stream in Mid May. My main target will be landlocked salmon. Have never fished for them but have fished often for steelhead in Midwest streams. What rod weight is enough? What types of fly line do you use, floating, weighted, weighted tip? Finally, how large size are the streamers you use. I am thinking about size 8? Any advice greatly appreciated.

mac7x
Master Guide

Re: FIshing Grand Lake Stream Maine, in Mid May

Post by mac7x »

Current stream flow is very high and rising. Hopefully it will drop before you get there. Check Weatherby's fishing report: https://fishingreports.orvis.com/northe ... Conditions
Currently recommending full sinking or sink tip lines.
For streamers, I like #4 or 6. Any of the Ghosts should work, Buggers too. I like a Bob Upham "Silversides". Favorite fly of all is a Hendrickson, but that's later in the month.
For dries and small streamers with a floating line, a 5 weight is fine. For fishing deep, with weight, I'd go with a 6, especially with bamboo.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

Thanks for the information. This does help. To me, it sounds like you need to get deep quickly with your fly., esp in the spring. This is similar to steelhead fishing although in that case, most do not use streamers but nymphs.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

There were Hendricksons out mid-May last year on GLS, but maybe conditions were just right for that.
I usually fish an FE Thomas or Carlin 6 wt. with floating line, but if the water is high a little weight might be good.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

I've had good success on GLS with soft hackles, with a 5 weight rod.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Nymphs work great at GLS. Fishing there is entirely dependent on flow levels. Remember that, unlike steelhead, these fish are feeding like trout. Make sure to get a map of the pools and do some exploring. The popular spots can get ridiculously crowded.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

I remember, fondly, the days when no additional weight, on the fly or on the leader, was permitted at GLS. Lee Wulff said that trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water; I don't think landlocked Salmon are any less deserving.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

mac7x wrote:
05/06/22 07:30
I remember, fondly, the days when no additional weight, on the fly or on the leader, was permitted at GLS. Lee Wulff said that trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water; I don't think landlocked Salmon are any less deserving.
I agree, although I believe that his quote about the sanctuary of the deep was about salmon, not trout.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

mac7x wrote:
05/06/22 07:30
When was that?
It would be bad enough to plan a trip and be at the mercy of the weather gods, but at GLS it’s also the dam operator.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

First trip was circa 1970. Not sure when the regulations changed.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”