Marryat CMR 78

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

jan96
Master Guide

Marryat CMR 78

Post by jan96 »

Not a classic reel, I hope I can ask this question here on the "Classic Reels Board".. I acquired this reel recently, I really like it. But as I'm used to right hand wind direction it bothers me because it has left hand wd. Is it possible to convert the wind direction? Thanks in advance for the help :)
r :)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Marryat CMR 78

Post by Brooks »

Call Bill Archuleta (541) 956-1691. He has worked on quite a few I’ll bet.
Also Bob Marriott’s (714) 525-1827 in California use to sell a lot of them.
I bought one from them in I think 1988. Maybe someone is still there that remembers working on them.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, They can be changed, but...... I think Archuleta does it. I have two. Here's an old post I made:

Hi Guys, I have an MR8 that I bought at a hock shop for $15 and it was on an old 8' Garcia Conolon with an agate strip guide. I use it on a home built guide 8014 with a wf6. Here is a bit of history I stumbled into while running parts to sub contractors. Sanco, a job shop for quality parts in Denver designed and built the first Marryats for Gerkhe. [sic?] I think the business went to Japan because of an anodizing color dispute. I think the engineer's name was Bill. Wow! I know he had a big smoked steelhead laying in the office one day and you could just grab a handfull. They did a lot of large diameter CNC parts for the company I worked for. They were really nice people there and a lot of them were serious fly fisherman. The family that owned it was named Santorno I believe, and there were several other family members who fly fished as well. Tony, the president/owner had a stack of reel parts in his office and enjoyed assembling them. They couldn't give me one because of my companies policy but they wanted to. Their QA guy was a jazzhead who volunteered at KUVO the Denver jazz station. I loved going there and dealing with them. Some one should check this bit of history out. I'm far away. I hope they are still around. Jay Edwards

If you do a search for Marryat CMR without the78 a lot of posts will pop up.

Edit: The two I have are black, bought second hand, and one is right and one left. I can reel left.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 05/06/22 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

You can do it but it’s easy to screw it up. Next time I will pay Arch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Classic Reels”