Pipe smokers/collectors

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Tellumnothing
Guide

Pipe smokers/collectors

Post by Tellumnothing »

Hi folks,
Bout time we visited about our pipes again. During my trapper/Indian books I read this past winter I came across some interesting facts about the plains Indian's pipe smoking ceremonies. Their pipe making and their use of tobacco really caught my interest especially because I have spent most of my life, here in Montana, and lived on and close to most of our states Indian Reservations. Thur my reading I learned that almost all of their ceremonial pipes were made from a material called "Redstone" which is only found in Minnesota. I now own a piece of Redstone large enough to make myself a pipe. Although I have never made a pipe before, I'm going to start on this new project. Just thought it would be fun to share my progress with you as I proceed. Tomorrow I will take a picture and send it along as I get started. Stay tuned.
Tellumnothing

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pipe smokers/collectors

Post by ablecane »

Insert "thumbs up" here!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Thanks for the post..... miss this Pipe Smokers/Collectors thread and look forward to your project. I have been toying with the idea of buying and trying a meerschaum pipe. Saw an interesting one on Smoking Pipes..... Ive read that they are somewhat delicate.... any thoughts ?

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

were made from a material called "Redstone"
I think the redstone you are referring to is Catlinite. You can google it for more information (and possible sources). It may also let you invetigate differnt 'forms' of a catlinite pipe.

The Haida Indians in the Queen Charlotte Islands (BC) mine a similar stone called argillite. They carved it into many different forms including pipes. The modern pieces tend to be works of art.

Good luck with your project. Maybe you go Carlos Castaneda by the time you are done :eek

Modern HAIDA pipe

Historical piece

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Now that this thread is back up I have a question. I had to give up the pipe but I still have a lot of unopened tins of various tobaccos I'd like to sell. If any of you guys are interested shoot me a PM. If there is enough interest I'll make a list of what I have. I have around 15 tins of various brands. I also have quite a bit of Stonehaven that is in jars. I started to make a post one time on the classified section but caught so many complaints I decided not to. I much prefer to sell it all, or most all, in one shot instead of a tin at a time.

Thanks

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Tellumnothing and good luck with your project. It will be nice to watch your progress.

Dave Potts - You might try contacting Maxim Engel at Pipes2Smoke.com where you can buy vintage tobacco. I've never purchased tobacco there but have had several satisfactory pipe purchases.

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Thanks for all your response. Sure nice to see some old names show up again. Bob K, I have two meerschaum pipes and I love them both. Mine are not carved but I really like them.They smoke well. Dave,if you have any CAO Black, I will buy it. Best tobacco I've ever smoked but it went out of production a year or so back. Yes, the Redstone is Catlinite.

First photo is my work area in my garage. I am using only files and rasps as these create much less dust than power tools. It will take longer but that just makes it more important to me. I'm retired and have lots of time! My second picture is my drawing showing both a side view and a top view of my pipe block The angle of smokehole to the bowl is very important, as they must meet somewhere in the bowl. My first step is to square Up my piece of material so when I drill my bowl hole it will be perpendicular and plumb to my pipe. I wanted to go with a design like you see in the upper left-hand corner drawn on a piece of clear plastic. But this pipe is a ceramic one and the smoke hole was created on the curve of the stem when the material was poured into the mold. I had to change my design to meet my stem Hole angle to the bowl. I'll try to keep the design close.
Years ago I met a pipe maker who lives in Croatia and because we have the same nationality heritage we became very good friends. He is my mentor and helping me with my SBS. Thanks for all your interest in my project. I realize this will take me quite some time to complete so I don't plan on posting, to show my progress, much more than once every week or so.
Pipe in Croatian is "Lula"😉 ;)
Dan

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Good luck with your project; nice to see some pipe-related stuff popping up here on occasion!
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Dustnstuff
Guide

Post by Dustnstuff »

An auction of pipes is coming on May 10. by Jasper52. Liveauctioneers
Dustnstuff

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Here is a little update on my project. I have spent enough time on my drawing board and hopefully I have solved all of my issues on paper. Photo 1 shows where I am at this point. I decided it was time for me to go to my drill press and start the hole for my pipe bowl. Photo 2 is my set up and my progress. I was very skeptical about drilling in this material because I've never done anything like this before. I took a 5/8" spade bit and ground it down so it would form the base of the bowl. Now it is called a "spoon bit." (Saw that on Utube). Tried to sharpen two opposite edges of the spoon but really didn't know what I was doing. Decided I would start very slowly with a 1/8 inch pilot hole in the center to see how the material drilled. That was a good move because I needed to have a feel for how much pressure to put on my drill press. To my surprise it was very easy to drill with a regular 1/8" bit. I only went half the depth of my pipe bowl and then changed to the 5/8" spoon bit. Because of my inability to sharpen the spoon correctly it got rather hot and I had to stop frequently to let it cool. I finished the total depth with the 1/8" bit and then took my time with a 5/8" to finish the depth of the bowl.
My next step will be to reposition my block of material so I can drill the 1/8 inch "smoke stem Hole" at an angle to meet the bottom of the bowl. Wish me luck--- this is a very important step!!! Thanks for watching 😉👍

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Cool project. Here are some pipe I have from my dad he never smoked a pipe these were just decorations I believe he got them in Turkey back in the 1960s.

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Very nice meerschaum pipes John. Sure hope Bob K sees these. He was asking about meerschaums a while back.

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

John's fathers pipes are beautiful, and this is the meerschaum I am looking at but for some reason haven't committed. It's a bit less than $200. A Rhodesian, 6" weight 2.05oz. Any thoughts?

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Like the looks of that one.

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

GOOD NEWS! After measuring and remeasuring a number of times I finally convinced myself that my calculations were right and I drilled the air hole. BINGO, it matched up perfectly with the bowl Hole. I drilled the mortise first and then the air so all the drilling is completed. Now the long enduring "shaping" is next. I did discover that using a small round carbide hacksaw blade cuts very nicely so I plan on using that to take as much of the big stuff off as I can. I'll try to post a picture once a week or so.
Thanks for watching.
Tellumnothing

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

After another Pipe floated downstream the other Day, I searched the Internet for a Angler's Pipe with a lanyard.
No luck so I decided to make my own.
A tight O ring and the Clip off a old Nipper

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Perfect ! ! ! !

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

That's a clever solution, bravo!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Ha, great Idea! Been thinking of ways to do that myself; that looks like it might work.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Hi all,
Here is a short little up date on my "Redstone Pipe" project. I am more and more impressed with the little carbide tungsten hacksaw blade than anything else I have used so far. It really does a good job of cutting through this material. Tomorrow I will finish the "rough" cutting and start using my new shaping/forming bits I just received in today's mail. They are for use with my drill press. See the last picture. NO MISTAKES YET. Keeping my fingers crossed!😬 Thanks for following.
Tellumnothing

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”