Rubber button

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

kakaryan
Guide

Rubber button

Post by kakaryan »

Any members know where to buy rubber button to replace the stock one on a Leonard rod?

The only source I could find online is a store in UK. Placed an order as I thought this thing is universal size so could fit. Turns out not. Not the same. It is lighter, a bit smaller in diameter, thread dia is the same but is longer.

I think the button should be pretty common back then but now it seems no one make it?

Thanks.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rubber button

Post by BigTJ »

Cutting out the brass post and replacing it with the correct one from the old button may be easier than trying to find a button with the correct post. Somebody with basic skills could pull that off pretty easily it’s just a question of time and $$. They would need a jig and custom circular cutter. A 2-hour job, all-in.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Or, any way to restore the old red rubber bottom?

The white stuff on the rubber, at first, I thought it was dirt. I tried to clean it with soap and water, no use.

Without knowing if it is dirt on the rubber, or the red colour of the rubber faded, I did not try other way to try to remove it.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

That is a different question. The rubber looks oxidized to me. There are rubber restoration techniques out there. I have no experience with any of them. To preserve the rod’s history that seems the best approach.

John

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”