Need advice on a trip to the Bitterroot Valley?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

uintaangler
Master Guide

Need advice on a trip to the Bitterroot Valley?

Post by uintaangler »

Before our move from Salt Lake City to Portland, anytime I headed North on a fishing trip it was either to the Tetons or the Yellowstone area.
Although I have spent a good bit of time in Missoula, it always seemed like the Bitterroot was already too warm and hoot owl restrictions were in place
I have a friend who wants to get together for a few days of fishing on the Bitterroot and some tribs and I could use some expert advice about timing - is mid July already too late?, is late June too early for the trips? and who to contact for a one day float on the Bitterroot?
I know this is information better shared privately, so feel free to PM or email: playspace@earthlink.net
Thanks.
Bob

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Need advice on a trip to the Bitterroot Valley?

Post by Brooks »

Both late June and Mid-July can be good, but it just really depends on the year, and all bets are off this year.
Give Eddy O a call
https://www.fishseddyo.com/

uintaangler
Master Guide

Post by uintaangler »

Thanks for chiming in.
Why do you say all bets are off this year?
Extremely wet winter?
Extremely dry winter?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

FWIW Sw Montana is at 100% of average precipitation.

For years I’ve had my best luck by plotting this year’s hydrograph against the median to see how runoff is unfolding and use that to gauge how things will unfold vs. typical years. There is more than just snowpack percent it also depends how it comes off. A cold spring can push things back 2-3 weeks for example. I check back every couple of weeks to see progress. One you get a feel for the data you can sometimes do a better job of understanding what’s up even than the guides do.

The biggest issue in the west in recent years is fire. Once you get into fire season mid-July the smoke can shut things down. For that reason earlier may be preferred.

Sorry don’t know the bitterroot so no info that way but hopefully the thoughts above are valuable.

John

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

As TJ said, Mid-July can be early fire season, but it's usually later. And up until a few weeks ago, drought was a concern. If it keeps raining and snowing, it could delay run-off which normally happens in late May, early June. I've seen odd drought years that then turned into rainy wet spring and wet early summer with run-off peaking mid to late june--or next week we could get 90 degree temps for a week that sends all the snow down early . . . . Even though the West Fork is dam release, the east fork is freestone, and the Bitterroot is a constantly changing river, with so-called "standard" channels going dry or log-jammed up, with new channels taking over.
so, all bets are off (actually, as to betting, I would wager, with small bills ;-) that both those times would be good this year).
Eddy-O will have good advice for you.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I floated with an outfitter July 9th 2018 for 2 days and the Bitterroot very low and the fishing was terrible. I would pick late June. The snowpack is around 100% but things can always drastically change one way or another due to weather. I won't recommend guides from the fly shop I used but it starts with a chicken feather used for tying. Good luck. I won't use fly shops anymore they use their best guides with their longtime clients and give you the leftovers who don't show up as part their website guide staff.

Dennis.
Last edited by firehole on 05/06/22 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Brooks wrote:
05/05/22 11:55
Both late June and Mid-July can be good, but it just really depends on the year, and all bets are off this year.
Give Eddy O a call
https://www.fishseddyo.com/
I have fished with Eddy and will second that.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

I lived in the valley and guided full time on the Bitterroot from 1996 to 2009. It’s my favorite river for many reasons but mostly because of its incredible hatches.
I have no recent info on the river because it’s been many years since I’ve fished it. I agree with the previous posts about high water, low water, fires, etc. My friends that are still there keep telling me that I wouldn’t believe the number of people on the river these days. So don’t expect solitude.
If it were me, I’d hedge my bet to late June. I would hope for high water to scare off some of the less adventurous folks and head to the upper river and forks to catch the salmon fly hatch.
Or if you decide on mid-July but the river is too crowded, all the little tributaries flowing out of the Bitterroots could be perfect by then.
But like I said, I haven’t fished it in years. Getting good, local and current reports is best.

tomimc1
Sport

Post by tomimc1 »

I floated the Bitteroot once with Jim Mitchell and had a great day, highly recommend him:

montanahuntingfishingadv.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'd go in April to avoid the crowds.

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

The Kingfisher fly shop in Missoula is a great place to do a guided trip from and will give you the accurate skinny on fishing if you ask. Check their website. I can not answer your questions. I have fished the Bitterroot several times at different times of the year and was moderately successful each time. I liked the early fishing before runoff the best. Fishing for me is when I can go, not when it is best.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

As I mentioned above, all bets are off this year . Bitterroot is really high right now, and then there’s this:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... 26e6d.html

Which gives you a feel for the entire region.
When did you book?

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Take a good look at Rock creek and it many branches

Gregg

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”