Ferrule hone question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Ferrule hone question

Post by LeeO »

So I tried my first set of ferrules on my new ferrule hone. I am getting a uniform diameter as far as correcting out of round, but I am also getting a slight taper. The end of the ferrule is about 0.0002” smaller. Any tips?
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

trland
Master Guide

Re: Ferrule hone question

Post by trland »

Not sure if it helps but I work the hone equally from both sides and never stopping in one place. In other words, I work it as if I'm putting the ferrules together and taking them apart in a back and forth motion coming completely off with each stroke with the lathe on a slow speed. Are you able to confirm the taper is coming from the honing and not the machining? Our old lathe is difficult to set up without any measurable taper whatsoever so we usually go by final fitting with 800 to 2000 grit paper to further correct slight tapering if it's still measurable after honing (measuring often). I'm interested to hear how others do it also.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Lee, saw your email and meant to answer yesterday. The hone should not be used in a stationary position, you should run the hone laterally along the length of the ferrule as you hone.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Let me ask a stupid question. If the male is not true round, I would guess the female is not true round either. Correct? So, what's all the fuss?
Lap it /fit it / fish it!

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Hone the inside of the female also. Hone and lap the male and you get better contact between the two. Sometimes good enough just isn’t.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

What tool is used to hone the interior of the female?

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Tommasini wrote:
05/05/22 19:51
I use Acro blind hole laps chucked in the tailstock with 800 grit lapping compound.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

GrayHackleRods wrote:
05/05/22 15:36
Lee, saw your email and meant to answer yesterday. The hone should not be used in a stationary position, you should run the hone laterally along the length of the ferrule as you hone.
I am moving moving back and forth. I may not have honed enough though. I am a little lost on the function of the micrometer and the other adjustment screw.

I may turn a piece of brass and practice on it. I e watched James Bond’s video but may need to watch it again
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

trland wrote:
05/05/22 20:48
Tommasini wrote:
I use Acro blind hole laps chucked in the tailstock with 800 grit lapping compound.
ul

Thanks for the info. In the 32 + years of planing bamboo, I can see the usefulness of this tooling as I have used a couple commercially available ferrules that would have required it (bell shaped ferrules) but I have never had the need when using Classic Sporting Enterprise ferrules and I have fit over 130 sets.
No financial interest in CSE.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Tommasini wrote:
05/06/22 06:10

Thanks for the info. In the 32 + years of planing bamboo, I can see the usefulness of this tooling as I have used a couple commercially available ferrules that would have required it (bell shaped ferrules) but I have never had the need when using Classic Sporting Enterprise ferrules and I have fit over 130 sets.
Agreed. I am using my own shop made ferrules turned on a very old lathe by a very amateur machinist so I think any extra precision is warranted. I didn’t lap the female ferrules from Dave Norling at Rush River Rods when I used to buy them and never had any issues.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

LeeO wrote:
05/06/22 04:50
I am a little lost on the function of the micrometer and the other adjustment screw.
There is a instructional tutorial on Lee’s website at Grayhacklerods.net that explains it better than I could. It’s at the bottom of the links page.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I missed that. Thanks
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Tommasini wrote:
05/06/22 06:10
trland wrote:
05/05/22 20:48
Tommasini wrote:
ul

No financial interest in CSE.
I've fitted a similar number of ferrules and have not been satisfied that the male slides are making close to 100% contact. I've noticed that quite a few fitted males slides contact is more like 30% - easily spotted by the friction fit not engaging immediately as the male is inserted into the female. I buy good quality ferrules, but measuring them with a micrometer, they are absolutely out of round and not the same diameter from end to end. With all due respect a perfectly round male ferrule is an impossibility, much like a perfect circle is. It is just a matter of how closely one wants to measure. Using a micrometer and Grobet files has greatly improved the amount of surface contact between the male and female. Lapping both the female and male only serve to improve the process.

BTW, I see people get way more hung up on taper dimensions, which in my opinion are no where near as important as ferrule fit
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”