Thread-match question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Thread-match question

Post by bearbutt »

I'm trying to pin down the thread Ken Crocker used, and I'm not making a lot of progress--. It's a strange copperish/burnt-orange/tan--

Here's a pic, with the inside of a wrap showing, and behind are BC 3155 and 5430. I tried both with and without CP and also Shellac, and a few others as well without getting close. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
bb

Last edited by bearbutt on 05/09/22 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Re: Thread-match question

Post by JoeBolt »

if you could split the difference?
Tire #202 is listed as both creme de cocoa and copper.
I wish this thread matching stuff was fall off a log easy, but it's way too subjective for me. Bon chance.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Did you try clear Lacquer as a CP. The original wrap is definitely color preserved.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks for both suggestions. Regarding the Tire # 202--it's listed as 3-ply--what would the equivalent be in relation to A or OO?

Didn't try the lacquer; but definitely will, as another friend also suggested this. The rod was built around 1950, so this historical context might help?

Thanks again,
bb

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Better help will come along... silk vernacular confuses me as much as color matching. Tire 50 silk may very well be 3-ply, but I just go by its 50 grade, so I have no relevant info on 50 vs A vs DO. Pretty sure you can find Tire in 100, too.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Joe:

Modern Size 50 is basically the same as old Size A. Old Size 00 is thinner than A/50 and Size 100 is thinner than 00. Tire is only available in Size 50.
It’s really hard to tell colors for wrap matching from a photo but as was mentioned above the wrap is color preserved likely with lacquer but shellac is a semi-CP and sometimes will give the same impression.
It looks to me like there is a gold tint to the wrap. You might try Gudebrod 8056 in nylon with lacquer and then a dark spar like Interlux or Ace on top. #8056 is a dull gold. Nylon was widely available after WW2.
If that’s too light, try a coat of orange shellac between the lacquer and varnish,

—Rich

(Dark spar crashes…)

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks, Rich--

I thought there was gold too, I tried BC 3715--but it was too light, the Gudebrod is duller and might work better. I'll try it. Also the shellac after the lacquer and before the varnish--I never would have thought of that--will it 'hold'--since the solvents are so very different?

Thanks also for the sizing lesson!

My goal is to try to figure out what Crocker used on his rods--as part of a larger project that will, I hope, evolve as a database. It's likely he was supplied by Fletcher's Fly Shop in Rangeley--which in their 1950 catalogue sold both finished Crocker rods, and blanks. But the silk they had in 00 was orange or yellow, with no other details provided.

Many thanks again,
bb

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

+1 Rich, thx
Bob ~JoeBolt

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

As long as you use dewaxed shellac, it will work fine. There's an old woodworker's adage: "Shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac". The Zinzeer in a can is NOT dewaxed, but their Sanding Sealer is.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Correction: in my original post I mentioned using BC 3430--which a friend kindly pointed out does not exist. I meant BC 5430--the copperish-tan spool on the left.

Thanks also, Rich, for the suggestions of dewaxed shellac. I'm on it.

bb

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”