Help w/ identifying rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JDJ

Help w/ identifying rod

Post by JDJ »

This rod belonged to my wife's grandpa. There is nothing to identify the maker. I wondered whether the color of the wraps or some other characteristic might indicate the rod builder. Thanks for your thoughts.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Help w/ identifying rod

Post by steeliefool »

The style and condition of the reel seat says Horton Bristol supervised by Gene Edwards to me. The seats had a tendency to explode for some reason. I've two Edwards Bristols with exploded reelseats.
A good pic of the winding check would be helpful.

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

Thanks @steeliefool. Does this help? Can the reel seat be replace with what remains?

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Yup, that's the check. As to repair, I suspose you could epoxy a properly sized wooded dowl into the rod butt portion of the seat and then install the bottom portion of the seat over that.
Won't be pretty but should work.
Good luck with it.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Wooden dowel extension and replacement seat is your best bet.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”