varney redo

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: varney redo

Post by BigTJ »

Don I take both PayPal and Venmo :rollin

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

ah
Last edited by steeliefool on 05/09/22 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Maybe an apology to Dennis is in order. Assuming a lack of "ethical/moral" misconduct in making a beautiful rod from some old sticks is a bit caustic.

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

roycestearns wrote:
05/09/22 11:53
,,,, Assuming a lack of "ethical/moral" misconduct in making a beautiful rod from some old sticks is a bit caustic.
Not sure what assumptions folks are making but would agree it appears at least that some feel a great wrong has been done.
I can't see it 100% and to each their own... enjoy yourself Dennis.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

roycestearns wrote:
05/09/22 11:53
Maybe an apology to Dennis is in order. Assuming a lack of "ethical/moral" misconduct in making a beautiful rod from some old sticks is a bit caustic.
A really good example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Some people love the subject Varney "mash up", other people don't, for some good reasons both ways. Knowing this board as I do, and the varying colorful personalities/opinions, I think somebody who expected anything less than a mixed reaction to the OP's post, and didn't anticipate a distinct possibility of strongly negative reactions (considering the subject matter), is probably a bit naïve. I'm not defending any of what's been said here, nor am I saying that an apology isn't warranted, I'm just saying the comments made were probably to be expected. An apology on the other hand I would not hold my breath for.

All academic at this point what is done is done, from my perspective I had a good laugh and engaged in some fine conversation with my respected board brethren, so can't complain one bit.

-John
Last edited by BigTJ on 05/09/22 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

BigTJ wrote:
05/09/22 11:17

Don I take both PayPal and Venmo :rollin
LOL, put it on my tab…..
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I just think it's too bad that a post by a long term, skilled member, sharing his latest excersize in the craft with us all, has to get disrupted and derailled by an arcane, righoustly indignant rant regarding a long lost notion.
That horse left the barn when the first rewrap happened.
Not the first time and surely not the last.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

John you've been concentrating on leg day far too much. I recommend core and cutting carbs. 😂😂

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Tapermaker,

Nice work!!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Gnome,

If I take a 1938 Ford Coupe and drop the top, add a 350 Cleveland to it, chrome everything under the hood, add a blower, dual-quads, straight pipes and headers and a ripping stereo, fuzzy dice, and top it off with a true Candy Apple paint job, do I pollute the historical record or did I just build a really bichin' hot rod?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Would it be "bitchin" to melt down the 38 Ford body to raw metal, use the sheet metal presses and forms left over that Ford used to make the Maverick in the 70's, so you end up with a Ford Maverick on a 38 Ford chassis, with 2022 Ford eco sport fenders (aka CSE ferrules) and then use non-original paint scheme with press-on after market decals so that it doesn't resemble anything like what Ford has ever turned out? That analogy is a lot closer to accurate, and besides, I'll take the stock 38 done up nice to original specs over the hot rod any day, I prefer history and style over showing off.

Had the rod been hollowed out, dipped in Wayne Maca's magic snowboard juice, planed out to an ultra fast tournament casting rod action, and then wrapped in chinese red silks, single foot torzite guides, with graphite ferrules and gorilla glue finish, we'd be in complete agreement on the bitchin hot rod analogy.

-John

Some photos to illustrate - Car in Photo 1 could have ended up looking like the one in Photo 2, but instead ended up like Photo 3. The car in Photo 3 is a hell of a lot faster, but which would you rather drive?

Last edited by BigTJ on 05/10/22 13:46, edited 4 times in total.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Either way you still need a dancing hula girl on the dash.
Vern

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

BigTJ,

I'll take a stock 1938 Ford Coupe over a hot rod any day also. As for the Maverick, I do see your point.

As for the dancing Hula Girl on the dash, jvh, yeah, good catch!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Dr Logik,

Classy response, thanks. Hula skirts and tu tus all around!

Apologies to Dennis for drawing this out. Not for an instant think my points above equate to saying you are somehow not entitled to do what you did, it's your rod. Additional apologies as the wrap job didn't look like any Varney Montague I've seen but on a bit of additional research looks like it could be legit.

Cheers,

-John

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Love the tutu. Back to the rod. Thirty years from now a connoisseur of bamboo fly rods will spot it in an instant. If it's purchased by someone to just have a fishing rod, then so be it. As an example, add extra guides to an HI, Monte or South Bend bamboo rod for improved performance and duplicating the wraps and finish, well you just have a nice looking rod with a better action. As long as you're not offering it as original, then no harm, no foul. As far as signing the rod, thousands of rods have been improved by adding extra guides without any other modifications. Over time they have been passed on to others. As before, a connoisseur of bamboo rods will pick it out. If someone is in ignorance of it, well life goes on.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Heck! The rod wasn't original to start with when Dennis bought it. It was a refinished Montie that someone put a Varney reel seat on.

It's not even late Winter, so it can't be the "shack nasties".

If it was a wholly original rod, I can see some reason for discourse, but some of this discussion is ludicrous.

It was and still is an obvious "Frankin rod", but now a totally ready to be fished usable and " good looking" rod.

Well done Dennis!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

+1 "Back to the rod."

Varney patented reel seat? ✅

The reasoned opinion of experts that it probably wasn't a 9 1/2 foot Varney wet fly taper? ✅

The meticulous re-do to a classic Montague taper? ✅

Labor of love, with incredible deference to maker and odd history, with its now added expert odd history? ✅

Signed as such? ✅

A genuine Varney reel seat catches fish again? Yes.
I am in awe, since a Mashup of a Mashup is a Remix. Fish on!

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”