South Bend No. 9

History of the South Bend Rod Co. Feel free to discuss South Bend Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Clark H.

South Bend No. 9

Post by Clark H. »

Hi,
First post. I'm going thru a bunch of old rods I inherited and this one was in a couple of catalogs on this site. The 1930 and the 1950. It looks old and has been sitting in a cardboard tube for a long time. Not in very good shape. I'm trying find out what year it is. Here are some photos. I can post more if needed. Thanks!!!

Clark H.

Re: South Bend No. 9

Post by Clark H. »

Hello,
Did I put this post in the wrong place?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Yes, you did. Their is an appraisal section. This site is dedicated all things bamboo fly rods. Your rod is a boat rod, trolling rod or some other type, but not a fly rod. If you found it in the catalogs, then they may help you with identifying it, but it most certainly is before SB stopped making bamboo rods in the early 50's.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Owing to a few highfalutin' (sp?) rod companies that added serial numbers to their rods, it is a misconception that the date or year of production for everybody else's rods is simple to figure out. It isn't, but we can get within a decade. Knowing it's listed in South Bend from at least 1930 to 1950 is a start. Being fly rod-oriented, our catalog listings often bypass anything else the companies offered.
Your baitcaster has the patented reel seat that began life about 1927, but it has the newer style decal that we associate with post-WW II. Best guess would place that between 1946 and the mid-Fifties. Rod specs didn't change often enough to get you any closer than that.

Clark H.

Post by Clark H. »

Thank you jeffkn1. The approximate time-frame was what I was looking for. Sorry about posting a non fly rod. I have so many rods to sort thru and I'm trying to learn, plus I haven't even started fishing yet. I didn't mean to get you upset NewUtahCaneangler, I just don't know the difference. I guess I'll go elsewhere to learn, and only post here if I'm positive it's a fly rod.
Regards,
Clark

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Clark, you should stay here - you will get the best advice and evaluations of your gear. We all err in accessing the site and we all learn about bamboo rods and, yes, there is occasional discussions of fiberglass rods too. We all started somewhere with imperfect knowledge of fishing rods, flies, reels, lines, repair, origins, etc. Do not feel unwelcome here.

Return to “South Bend Rod Co.”