Fly Fishing West Yellowstone by B. Staples & B. Jacklin

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Fly Fishing West Yellowstone by B. Staples & B. Jacklin

Post by Hellmtflies »

New on the shelf is as complete account of the history and angling progression of fishing in and around West Yellowstone. For those of you interested in the culture and contributions from some of the most talented anglers in the area a must read is "Fly Fishing West Yellowstone a History and Guide" by Bruce Staples & Bob Jacklin. Published by Stackpole Books in 2021. I must confess that about eight or ten years ago I sat in on a lecture by Bob Jacklin at an event along the Hennry's Fork. Bob was the guest speaker that day. His presentation was on the history and evolution of the fly-fishing industry and fly-fishing shops in and around West Yellowstone. Once he began the room went silent and Bob had us captured for a solid hour or so. It was fascinating. This book will take you through that and so much more. A must read for those who have been to "West" to fish and for those who hope to. The book will enrich your visit and angling experience about the area. Enjoy!
Mark

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Fishing West Yellowstone by B. Staples & B. Jacklin

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Mark, thanks! I just ordered a copy. If I remember, I will ask Bob to sign my copy in June.

Last June I sat along a bank of the Madison with Bob Jacklin's wife watching Bob fish. He is an amazing caster, and he was not using a fancy fly rod. He laid his Green Drake emerger within 6" of the bank in the wind. Landed two nice browns. Then he came over and sat with us chatting about the river, the green drakes and casting.

John

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

John, that experience was just fun, I'm sure. My wife and I fished with Bob a few years back. What a wonderful day that was. He just does his own thing and let's those around him do theirs. No pressure. A few years ago, while I was the security manager of the local mall Bob, and his wife would come in about once a week. While she shopped Bob and I would sit and chat. He was going to retire and sell the shop then. That was 8-9 years ago. I know he struggled with that concept. Guess he has made the decision to stick it out in the game for a few more years. :) This book is an indication of that. I wish him well. The book is well worth the read.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

"A must read for those who have been to "West" to fish and for those who hope to. The book will enrich your visit and angling experience about the area."

I agree with that, not only for the historic characters, but also for Bob Jacklin himself. He comes from a long line of terrific fly shop owners and local anglers. They don't have quite the notoriety and public recognition of those from the East, but they were instrumental in promoting the great fishing around Yellowstone and serving the anglers who went out to discover it. For many years Bob gave free casting lessons every week in the town park to help tourists enjoy the fishing. He served for years on the West Yellowstone city council and is a very civic-minded guy. The city is building the Bob Jacklin Casting Pond by the Union Pacific Dining Hall and Museum of the Yellowstone in recognition of his contributions to the town.

Bob and Bruce Staples have put together some interesting stories and terrific historic photos to tell the history of the trout town of the West.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I spent parts of 37 summers in West Yellowstone in order to fish the surrounding area. I always enjoyed knowing and interacting with the various fly shop 'personalities' over the years including Bob Jacklin. (In fact, a good friend of mine worked in Bob's shop for several years following a long stint at the West Yellowstone Airport.)

In any case, I'm looking forward to my copy of the book which is currently on order.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I started reading the book last night, it is excellent. It gives you a whole different perspective to the area and the fly fishermen.

Then chatting with Craig Mathews, I decided to order another book this morning: "Waters of Yellowstone with Rod and Fly" by Howard Back.

John

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I talked to Bruce over the weekend and called Jimmy’s Fly Shop in Idaho Falls and ordered mine. Should be a great read

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I ordered a copy as well. They had to find Bruce in the back room to sign it.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Thanks for the heads-up on this one Mark, it is a really good book. The authors speak from vast personal experience and a massive archive of photographs and documents accumulated over many years. I have a little personal experience of the area but the magnitude of the fishery is truly mind-blowing. It is also a book which champions the environment and the protection and restitution of the fishery, particularly from the perspective of the native fish population. Plaudits to the two oldies who wrote it.

Return to “Book Talk”