New Orvis CFI III Made in USA Reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Dead Drifter

New Orvis CFI III Made in USA Reel

Post by Dead Drifter »

Orvis is selling a new click and pawl, made in the US, CFI III. They say it's being made per Bogdan design.

Has anyone picked up this reel? Any first impressions yet?

I'm thinking of adding one or two of these reels to slowly replace some older made in England Battenkill reels.

Thanks
Dave

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Orvis CFI III Made in USA Reel

Post by BigTJ »

The following 4 pages may be of interest to you the regular reel seems to be made the same as the 50th anniversary version and on page 3 the conversation on the regular black one pops up

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vi ... p?t=140256

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I have handled one that belongs to a friend. It is well made with no spool wobble but it is still the same 50 year old design. Nothing special. I would have been interested in one had they done some changes and modifications to make it different from the ones of old.
Last edited by PYochim on 05/12/22 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I purchased one.

It’s black…really black!🥸

A gun metal grey would have been nice.

Richard, the fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Here's a link to the new CFO III I posted on the Fiberglass Forum awhile ago with pictures. Nice reel - type III anodizing too..

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... =4&t=73682

Tom

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I was told the cnc machine shop that is building them in New Hampshire is very capable and is such a big defense-industry-type facility, that you could probably put every american reel maker in the building and barely put a dent in the capacity. I’d love to see the place.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Brooks wrote:
05/16/22 20:20
I was told the cnc machine shop that is building them in New Hampshire is very capable and is such a big defense-industry-type facility, that you could probably put every american reel maker in the building and barely put a dent in the capacity. I’d love to see the place.
Recent Orvis catalog ads describe it as their facility, but don't mention whether they bought all, or part, of it....would be interesting to know.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

PYochim wrote:
05/10/22 21:35
I have handled one that belongs to a friend. It is well made with no spool wobble but it is still the same 50 year old design. Nothing special. I would have been interested in one had they done some changes and modifications to make it different from the ones of old.
What modifications would you have made?

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Been trying to get one of the new ones and finally did! Happened upon a smaller Abel version as well. Super nice reels! Definitely worth adding to the collection or using!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

JohnMD1022 wrote:
10/27/22 17:50
What modifications would you have made?
I would add a counterweight. Not true to the original design but that would make it a better reel.

I don’t think the spring/pawl mechanism is adequate to prevent spool overrun. Yesterday I had a feisty fish take line and it created a mess. I had to break the fish off.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

PYochim wrote:
05/10/22 21:35
Orvis already did just that with the CFO Disc (w/counterweight, anodized finish, more drill holes & smooth disc drag w/click), made in England and offered for several years recently. It's a wonderful modern, yet traditional, fly reel--period.

As is, IMHO, the original Bogdan-designed and Hardy-made, CFO. But to each his own...

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Classic Reels”