Fly Shop Reports

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Fly Shop Reports

Post by Booman2 »

I seldom read "fishing reports" from destination fly shops, but I made an exception this year, prior to blasting off on a week's trip to a river I have fished for almost 50 years. It is a 500 mile drive. The reports for the river (creek) and the nearby lake was "good." Also provided was the usual list of must-have fly patterns that nobody outside of the shop probably ever heard of.
Three of us on the trip who are all very highly experienced fly fishers experienced extremely crappy fishing. It was so bad that the local lake's parking lot was totally empty one evening during the hatch. I managed to land exactly one fish of about 9" in the week. The Fish and Wildlife checker told me that he had only checked 2 fish all day, both were released.
The shop in question was one that I have supported for years, but that is over forever. I know that they think that good reports may equal more customers, but I think that may not be true. Any opinions?

AlexP
Master Guide

Re: Fly Shop Reports

Post by AlexP »

A couple quick comments. How up to date are their reports? Daily / Weekly? Are they an outfitter with guides?

Did you visit the shop before fishing or just looked at their online reports? If it were me, I would probably not give up on the shop if you only read their online info. Also, how has the fishing being throughout those 50 years? Have you had the same fishing experience before?

Sorry for all the questions, but in general, I take reports with a grain of salt and always stop by shops if time allows and I am staying a night or two minimum. Although assuming the 500 mile drive was round trip, you might have done it in a day.

I have received conflicting information in fishing destinations with famous fly shops in the same day. And who knows which employee had to update the report online that day.....

Hope you have better luck next time

Tight Lines

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The trick to fly shop reports is knowing when they say the fishing sucks but it’s actually great.

Hitting ideal fishing conditions is like shooting a duck. You don’t shoot at the duck, you shoot where the duck is going to be. Following online fly shop reports is in most cases like shooting behind the duck.

But I’m wondering if you have fished the river for 50 years, shouldn’t you know better when conditions are off? And then adjust the plan once reality sets in? Maybe the blame should go somewhere other than the fly shop. You can call ahead of time too they may have been able to give you more up-to-date and accurate info.

John

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

FF shops are in the business to sell flies etc. Fishing is always great. It's kind of like a Byzantine approach to fishing. I agree with the duck shooting appraisal above.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

The Fish and Wildlife checker told me that he had only checked 2 fish all day,
Probably the second question you could have asked the fish checker was how was it fishing last week? The reports tend to post what is currently happening, not what will happen. How many days passed from reading the report to arriving (driving 500 miles) on stream? Was the shop posting the same 'report' as when you left? Could be a dishonest fly shop or just a change in conditions over time.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Sounds like fish checker is the way to go next time? Or maybe an independent guide? Or even a local TU member for a donation to the chapter? Here's hoping the next trip comes soon and is successful...and also that the river you did visit isn't suffering some malaise that led to the poor fisihing.

TClark5201
Sport

Post by TClark5201 »

My experience with fly shops with a guide service is to view fishing reports with a certain amount of skepticism. Fly shops without guides,as the one here in Idaho Falls, have always given me good information on ranch conditions as an example. There are many exceptions, Some of the shops in West Yellowstone give excellent reports.
TClark

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Key fly shops in the Catskills; I find provide honest information.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

The fisherman who started this thread has been fishing the area for most of the 50 years he has been fly fishing. We have shared the same understanding of fishing reports - Best fishing in yaars - greatest hatches etc. I too tend to take all of the reports with a grain of salt. I am going to fish some old new water this fall and will stop in the shops and ask questions and buy a few flies, it is what I do. Madison was running mud - best salmon fly fishing in years....Fish could not see a salmon fly

Gregg

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Booman2, I respect the fact that you’re not revealing the shop or the river(s)……but curiosity is killing me—-could you tell is what region at least ;-)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I'm sure these places get tired of being asked how the fishing is.

Making a token purchase, asking for info and expecting it to be accurate doesn't work and never did.

Years ago I went into a shop in Cody WY, made a sizable purchase and asked about fishable water close to town. The guy sent me on a wild goose chase. 75 mile drive to a trickIe of a stream that was barely flowing. I posted a negative review on their site. The site asked me to leave my contact info which I did. A day later the same guy I spoke to called me and chewed my ass out. Part of it is on me for trusting the idiot. My guess is I was directed to far away waters so as not to pressure the waters closer for the guides and their clients.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

If you go into a lot of fly shops and tell them you need a guide you will get more attention. They'll be on you like a cheap suit.

I rarely go into fly shops anymore. Too many dude men and bruh types.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

My initial post may not have artfully constructed. The message was: if you provide information, it should be somewhat accurate. In our case, we had nearby alternatives and were not negatively impacted. However, a new fly fisher would have experienced a VERY poor week.
Sort of like selling a #5 line that is really a #5 1/2 or even a 6.
To answer a recent posted question: it was a famous creek on the central west coast. The comment about shop reports from the YNP area are about what my experience is, quite accurate and timely. I particularly like it when they include reminders suggesting we stay off the lower Gibbon, Firehole, etc. due to high water temps that harm fish.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

One river I fish, the only one, for a bit over 52 years, on and off, I know when the fishing should be good, I check the water gauges weather report etc. , no need to call a fly shop. I could fish numerous other waters I am familiar with using the same general information and get a pretty good idea of fishing conditions, no need to contact a fly shop. Things like high water temps. and hoot owl restrictions are plastered all over the internet.
On newer water or areas I am not too familiar with I simply do some research and generally do fine, of course I like exploration and have been pretty successful with it. It's fun to look at new water, sometimes great, other times not so much.
As for information from second hand sources, well you get what you pay for. The guy at the counter or answering the phone may not really know anything at all.
Yes, I guess they should be moderately accurate, but that doesn't seem to be a thing nowadays.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

I very give good reports except to very close friends. I do not trust them to be accurate 90 percent of time. There are exceptions but smart anglers do not casually share key fishing info. To me, I earn my info by going fishing and spending time on water. I think others should do the same. As for driving on long trips, I agree that is a problem. On a recent trip I took to the SNP in Virginia, I caught 9 trout in 3 days of fishing. Go figure.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

[quote=PYochim post_id=951407 time=1652390974 user_id=4299}
I rarely go into fly shops anymore. Too many dude men and bruh types.
[/quote]

I have noticed this more in the Western US, then the East Coast, of course this is my experience, and others may have had different experiences.

I find that the fly shops I have frequented have given me good advice in person. I of course do play the game of buying a bunch of flies, leaders etc to get the information flowing, but I have always had good days of fishing off of fly shop advise.

There is only one exception to this rule when I stopped by a fly shop which was named after the destination water it supported. I asked for fly advise, and the proprietor was telling me very generic patterns with no hatch or regional significance. (Think Royal Wulff in Pa). Between leaders and flies and some other bits and bobs that I did not need equalling at least close to a Ben Franklin, all stuff that I did not need sitting on the counter the guy would not give me any meaningful information about hatches, or access, or tributaries. I mean nothing. I left the shop with my Ben Franklin in my pocket, and a few stinging words for the owner on his role in playing this game.

Compare this with a new Fly Shop in Phoenix Arizona. I was traveling for business, had a free day, thought I would hire a guide and try to catch a wild trout in Arizona (I had no car, and did not want to fly on a business trip with gear). The shop had no guiding service, but went 100 miles out of their way to find me a guide, and just give me great advice. I told him I wanted to book through him so he got a piece of the pie, but was just kind and saying it is not a service he offered yet, but was happy to help. I asked a co-worker to go in and get me a box of flies from the shop, and let them know the guy from NJ who was looking to book a guide appreciated their help.

I like fly shops. I stop by them when I see them, and plan my fishing travel around towns that have a shop in case I need some support.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”