Calibrating Waara block on dgital caliper

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Nodewarrior
Sport

Calibrating Waara block on dgital caliper

Post by Nodewarrior »

I have borrowed a 60° Waara block to finish a rod. It came with instructions to calibrate it with an analog caliper. I'm looking for advice about how to do it with my digital caliper. I know how it's done with 61.5° block that I have from Tom Morgan for the hand mill but I don't think that will work for this 60°one.
Barry

L Swearingen
Sport

Re: Calibrating Waara block on dgital caliper

Post by L Swearingen »

Barry,
I don't have the equation in front of me now but it will involve some Math and a know good quality cylindrical object
such as a precision dowel or drill bit. Please note that the accuracy of your measurement relies on having an accurate
60 degree V in the Waara block, an accurately measured Dowel ( they are never EXACTLY the measure given. usually
a few tenths above or below) . Same with drill bits. Measure it with an accurate micrometer and use those measurments.
On second reading . This will apply to your use of a digital Caliper but I'm not sure how you will adjust the reading
on your specific Digital. I have a Starrett Dial Indicator but haven't actually used in probably 10 years. I grab my
Mitutoyo when needed.
Larry Swearingen
http://planingforms.webs.com

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

PM Sent

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Try this.

The height of an equilateral triangle can be expressed as 1,5 X the diameter of the inscribed circle. So, find a dowel or drill shank that fits in the 'v' of the block without protruding above the surface. Place it in the block and close the caliper. Zero the caliper. Remove the dowel. Close the caliper an amount equal to 1.5 x dowel diameter. The caliper will have a minus sign. Zero the caliper again in this position. Done.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

+1 galt
Euclid, et al., FTW? Love it.

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by JimmyB11 »

Send me your regular email

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”