Bougle LHW to RHW

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Recidivist13
Guide

Bougle LHW to RHW

Post by Recidivist13 »

Hi Gents
I am looking at a Bougle mark iv in pretty nice condition, only it is setup LHW. From my searches here is seems they can be converted by just flipping the pawls around, is this correct?
I don’t have a photo of the reel internals yet unfortunately. Price he’s asking is $350 USD plus two spare spools, seems like a good buy?

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bougle LHW to RHW

Post by jhuskey »

Great buy if decent condition. Not sure on converting wind.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Great buy!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Recidivist13 wrote:
05/11/22 19:34
Hi Gents
I am looking at a Bougle mark iv in pretty nice condition, only it is setup LHW. From my searches here is seems they can be converted by just flipping the pawls around, is this correct?
I don’t have a photo of the reel internals yet unfortunately. Price he’s asking is $350 USD plus two spare spools, seems like a good buy?

This model of Hardy Bougle has the Mk 2 check. (all parts of the check on one side ) so yes it can be used as both L and R hand wind. You just activate the other check and deactivate the one in use. Two identical checks inside on the same side of the reel makes this possible. The earlier mark II check (1922-1969? And still in use on the Hardy Perfect I think) could,nt be changed in direktion after leaving the factory. The older check is a check and a similar check as spare-parts. The new is two identical checks both can be used. See pictures. Picture 1 and two: A Hardy LRH Lightweight from the 1950th. with dublicated mark II check, R hand wind only! Picture 3 and 4 a Hardy LRH Lightweight from the 1960th. with Mk 2 check L or R hand wind easy to change, just activate and deactivate.

Last edited by sovereign on 05/11/22 23:08, edited 2 times in total.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Thanks for the reply, might go ahead and secure it then.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Maybe ask the guy to put into RHW to see if the flip will work.
Also ask about a return policy.
Maybe just my one reel.

Just my experience, as my Mark IV 3" is also in LHW because the intended flip to RHW was unsuccessful.
In fact, the reel was new. Mine is the reproduction version with bridal case and signed card.
All the parts themselves in the reel I acquired looked brand new.
But the conversion to RHW which I have done and redone many times just hasn't felt correct at all.

My problem is clearly operator error.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

My 4” Bougle Mk. 4 was set for RHW when I received it as a birthday gift in 2003. Easy change to LHW, instructions came in the box.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
05/12/22 07:43

Just my experience, as my Mark IV 3" is also in LHW because the intended flip to RHW was unsuccessful.
In fact, the reel was new. Mine is the reproduction version with bridal case and signed card.
All the parts themselves in the reel I acquired looked brand new.
But the conversion to RHW which I have done and redone many times just hasn't felt correct at all.

My problem is clearly operator error.
I got a like-new 3" Bougle Mk IV at a very fair price several years ago - it was set RHW and the original owner said he couldn't change it to LHW. ???
No instructions came with it - maybe he was one of those "I don't need the manual" types and tossed them.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

I figured at that price I can learn to wind Left handed 😁
Few more pics

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Very easy to convert. *Don’t forget it is a reverse screw. As I recall, a penny fits pretty well. When the screw is out, hold the reel with fingers in the spool and crank the handle plate with your other hand un-screwing it. Lift off crank plate— pawls are exposed just flip down the one that is up, and flip up the one that is engaging the gear. Then assemble crank plate and screw process. (This is from memory without reel in front of me, but I believe it is correct).

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Seller sent a pic through, looks straightforward enough.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

If for some reason it doesn't work when you try it, then someone may have messed around with the pawls, and you may need to slide the pawl off the post (see the slot in the pawl?) and flip the pawl over, like you would flip a dish plate upside down on a table, then slide the pawl back onto the post. Flipping the pawl over will change where the tip of the pawl is pointing. Recently, I had to do that to a reel that I converted.
Last edited by flyty2 on 05/13/22 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Recidivist13 wrote:
05/12/22 19:31
Seller sent a pic through, looks straightforward enough.
Gulp, that is gorgeous. Please update, ayc!

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

From the Hardy booklet that comes with the newer Hardy Bouglé. Read picture one an extra time ! To unscrew the spool of a Hardy Bouglé ( Hardy Perfect, very early Hardy Sgt. George and Hardy Silex no. 2 ) turn clockwise = off! - best to use is a coin or a screwdriver that covers the hole screw that will leave a minimum of marks on the screw. Good luck !

Last edited by sovereign on 05/13/22 08:06, edited 2 times in total.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Thanks all for advice and tips, hopefully now to secure the reel

Return to “Classic Reels”