Back from Sierra, and newly IamFlykuni

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Back from Sierra, and newly IamFlykuni

Post by driftless angler »

Awesome trip report, thanks for sharing!

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Glad you are back. I love your posts. Your new sign in name is way cooler!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thumbs Up!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Most beautiful scenery, trout, fly rod, and photography! Thank you, I always enjoy reading your posts and viewing your lovely photos.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Beautifully written, as always. As I have stated before I would rather read your accounts than the well known Colorado writer.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Glad you are back, Flykuni! And, I hope the change in name and number-of-posts status is the worst fate you have endured from being hacked!

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Did you email Mark or just send him a PM? Email has always worked for me.

Where is the trip report? Seems to be gone?

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I messaged Mark.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Hi Darrell, fellow Nikkei, I was at Hot Creek too for the opener weekend. But I was in the Canyon, not the Ranch. Gale winds above and beyond the usual winds. I have never been able to snag a resy at the Ranch over the years. Glad to hear that you were able to fish "down below." I got a total of one (dumb) fish up "above" (on a Caddis emerger) over several days in the Canyon. Better "luck" below.

Anyway, I also missed your report, before it disappeared. I went to my RSS feed and found it and will copy it below for the benefit of forum members:

Dale

>>>>

Was I hacked, was I glitched? I dunno, all I know is I was locked out here, and now I am back from the Opener in the Eastern Sierra of California. I had to reregister, I have a new handle, IamFlykuni. Same guy, hello again. (Wifi, if you've not heard from me this is why; member who sold me Scott rod, please contact me, thanks. And if I have correspondence with you, please contact me.)

This is pal Chris, casting on the Hot Creek Ranch. Looks great, eh? It was for him, snagging a beautiful 19" brown that fought like a anchor. You know the brown, the thing ran about 6', then back to his lair, and Chris looked like he was battling a big rock cod in the Pacific.

Told you. That thing put the bend in Chris' Para 15, and he dogged that brownie like a damn carp (on 4x...Kevin at the Ranch allowed nymphing, perhaps due to low flows and lack of bug action. Weird, I felt dirty doing it). I got over it when I caught a wild rainbow that flew out of the water and slammed against the bank with a smack. Chris looked up from tying on a new fly, "Was that a fish?" I said, um yeah.

Honker.

It was a fine opener though the sparse snow on the High Sierra bodes nothing but hard, dry times ahead. The runoff had already begun when I hit the creek. The historic drought and continuing dry winters is truly bad news for the California, and the rest of the West. Lake Powell is so low it's nuts, and the docks are way out there, and bodies appear. Whiskey's fer drinnkin' and water's fer fightin'. Battles ahead for all. Chris loves his golf. Glad I never caught that disease.

I fished my favorite mountain creeks. I made sure to bring an assortment of rods, featuring two rods made by my late bud George Boehme. On the Ranch I used his fine 7 1/2' DT5, darkly flamed and tapered like a Heddon Featherweight, in other words, medium-fast and dry fly accurate. But up above the valley, where a creek flows through a canyon with soaring granite faces, where the United States operated at strategic tungsten mine during WW ll, in a creek that isn't visited by hordes thank god, I fished George's finest creation -- IMHO, because, as George intoned, "No one likes it but you, Darrell." I said, no George, it's a great rod, it's like an old Leonard, it's like a Catskill, it's a great rod." So one night in his workshop garage, with a few months to live, he handed it over to me. I treasure the damn thing. And I've fished it every year without fail since the C took him down.

It fished in Crazy Woman Canyon in the Bighorns in Wyoming. And on this trip.

This was his only 3/2. It's just what I need for a small stream: 7' for a DT3, all metal lathed and lapped and smoothed by his hand, and the thing casts as sweet as gotdamn hell. Rest easy, George, I remember you. Your rods were great.

This little fellow was on the fin in a pool I approached, holding about 10" deep, facing upstream and moving now and then. He was a taker. There were a billion branches and bushes around me, and I got into the only casting position available. But it was a toughie, branch hell it was, requiring a short load behind and a long forward reach. Somehow I put the PT flymph into the lane. They weren't coming up and I thought a wire-ribbed flymph would take them -- and he moved in a feeding motion, a grab to the side. I lifted and struck him. It was a solid hooking, one of those you say yeah to.

He put the bend on George's 7'-er and I stripped him in. I got a shot, and the fish was very cold in my hand, a piece of lively ice. Then he went back in and shot away from me.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Aw thanks Dale, good to meet you -- yeah, winds were roaring on Opener, tough fishing. Hope we have a good season, despite the low snow pack. Tough times all over, thanks again.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

So, who the heck is "IamFlykuni"?

John

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Fyi, Mark deleted it -- I got frustrated and made new IDs, which you shouldn't do -- I've been in and out for over a week, some oddities going on with my acct. Like, why did this post disappear with no input from me? Thanks to Dale it was saved and reposted.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Flykuni3 wrote:
05/15/22 14:27
Fyi, Mark deleted it...
It's probably cuz you said " da Clousa!".

Counting the days!!!

John

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

So great to see George's rod once again.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”