Mystery rod maker

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Mystery rod maker

Post by jeffkn1 »

And I can't even show you the rest of the rod, as this came to me in a fistful of assorted parts. I sure like it though and even with a set I would like to have gotten the rest of it. Appears to be wood, not a big surprise for something that looks this old. To me it seems to be 1880's or thereabouts. Grip is wrapped not with cord or rattan, but two-color jasper-y line. To me, rounded butt caps like this one seem to be more common on NY makers' rods. The first name that comes to my mind would be Malleson but why would he not stamp a name on it? Who else could it be?

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: Mystery rod maker

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Sliding band looks like Malleson to me. The two most center incised bands, excluding the center band should be knurled. This would match the TJC and C&B rods sliding bands in my collection.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Is the butt cap familiar? I know he did more than one style.

Dustnstuff
Guide

Post by Dustnstuff »

A long shot..
Joseph Ward in Pelham, Ma. with Eugene Bartlett (before Montague). They turned a lot of rods of Ash and other local woods.
Dustnstuff

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ferrule, though not 'hexed, looks CB&M, and so Malleson to me.

Edit: I think Mallesons did not have a welt, but perhaps some did.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 05/14/22 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Jeff,
The butt cap pattern does not match any of my Malleson's.

The ferrule incised band pattern matches my hard rubber gripped TJC with the addition of the welt on the ferrule.

As a side note, the 15' rod I showed you a few weeks ago actually has the TJC marking on it.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”