Phillipson fly rod questions

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

flyfishingnewbieG

Phillipson fly rod questions

Post by flyfishingnewbieG »

I have 5 Phillipson fly rods all are pre- 1951 from things I've read. all in wonderful condition. I'm looking to sell some of them but don't know a fair price and the ones I don't sell I'm curious to learn more about them. I will have pictures added this evening, thanks in advance for any information you contribute!

One of the ones I've measured has a length of 6 ft has a signature style "Philipson Pacemaker with the number 68 around the other side

I am very new to fly fishing and don't know all the words and phrases that an avid fly fisher would know. so if you're explaining anything, treat me like a 12 year old.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Phillipson fly rod questions

Post by ozarkwater »

There is a link that describes the process...viewtopic.php?t=57812

As a start. Also, a good set of pictures. Close ups of reel seats, ferrules, grips, scripting, tip tops. Measurements of the rod sections. Rod bagds and rod tubes! Some rod tubes are worth as much as the rod. Sometimes. Heck, never know if you want to sell someone here might be interested. If you intend on keeping some, maybe a geographic area with intended waters to fish? This will assist the forum members in making some pointed and helpful suggestions.

The folks on here are...well...heck of a resource! So this is the place to go on-line.

You are at the right place.

Welcome.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

FlyfishingnewbieG Here are some definitions for you:
reel seat-- the place where the reel is attached
ferrules - the metal pieces where the parts of the rod fit together
rod handle--cork grip
scripting-- any writing that appears on the rod (look above the grip and on the reel seat)
tip tops-- last guides at the very top of the rod where the line goes through
Rod bag and rod tube - most rods came with a "bag" or cloth sack where you would put the individual rod pieces for storage in the tube
Tube, case, usually metal, where rod in storage sack is stored

ozarkwater, You gave great instructions but after teaching jr high for 31 years I really learned how to break down directions.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

It is my understanding that the number inked on Phillipson rods was the number of the inspector that approved the rod's quality for sale.

I also recall reading, however, there was some special significance to the number "51" on Phillipson rods completed in 1951. This significance related to the fact that, after Goodwin Granger died in 1931, the Board of Directors appointed Goodwin Granger's widow to be President of the Company. She appointed Bill Phillipson as the supervisor of the rod-making department, but Agnes Marshall remained company manager. Bill and Agnes did not get along, and Mrs. Granger had to constantly referee conflicts between the two, finally determining that Agnes would manage all business aspects of the company, but Bill had total control of rod production, including making decisions about any improvements that needed to be made to increase sales.
Goodwin Granger: The Rod Man from Denver by Michael Sinclair, p. 35-36.

Unfortunately, although Granger increased production throughout the 1930s due to Bill's innovations, the animosity continued, for example, because Bill produced a new low-priced rod (during the Depression) and named it "Victory," which not surprisingly ticked Agnes off. When WWII essentially shut down production in 1942 because the Government controlled all raw materials needed and the employees went to work in factories producing war materials. When WWII ended, Bill attempted to buy the Granger Company, but Agnes, still a member of the Board of Directors, vehemently opposed selling the Granger Company to Bill Phillipson. Eventually, Granger's widow, now remarried, sold it instead to Wright & McGill in 1946. When Bill advised Agnes that that he would be establishing his own company, the story is that she told him that his company wouldn't last 5 years. So, Bill labeled every Phillipson rod made in 1951 with "51". Sinclair, pp 37-41.

Rod makers have long memories!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

If you have 5 bamboo Phillipson rods that are in good condition, you have yourself a nice collection. Value will be determined by the condition, model and length. As mentioned above photos are essential and you will probably get some offers on this forum, so keep an eye on your personal messages and get some evaluations from the pros here.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

hatch wrote:
05/13/22 17:09
FlyfishingnewbieG Here are some definitions for you:
reel seat-- the place where the reel is attached
ferrules - the metal pieces where the parts of the rod fit together
rod handle--cork grip
scripting-- any writing that appears on the rod (look above the grip and on the reel seat)
tip tops-- last guides at the very top of the rod where the line goes through
Rod bag and rod tube - most rods came with a "bag" or cloth sack where you would put the individual rod pieces for storage in the tube
Tube, case, usually metal, where rod in storage sack is stored

ozarkwater, You gave great instructions but after teaching jr high for 31 years I really learned how to break down directions.
Hatch: Thank you for the backup :) Can't wait for the pictures!

flyfishingnewbieG

flyfishingnewbieG

Also have 3 actionrod glass rods in really solid condition.

flyfishingnewbieG

I’m also realizing I was wrong about what I had. I apologize if that catches y’all of guard. So new to all this.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

We were all new at this at one time.

flyfishingnewbieG

Also have this but with no reel handle

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Nice Granger, but looks like some damage to the tips. Can you give us the length of the butt section and details of the damage? One is missing a tip top, no big deal. The other looks like it has had a repair. Are all three sections the same length? A photo of all three laying side by side would be best. Do these rods have tubes and socks?

flyfishingnewbieG

Granger definitely has tube I have another tube and socks from original

And all pieced match, here’s the case info and here is some photos ( butt piece measured 36 3/4 inches )
one end piece is split and the other is missing the tip.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I'll offer some opinions, judging from the pictures. The Granger Deluxe is a desirable grade. Yours is a 9050, which indicates a 9-foot rod that weighs 5 oz. not counting the reel seat, which adds another half ounce or so. One of your tips is fractured or delaminated. It could possibly be repaired, but right now you have a one-tip rod. If the other tip is intact (other than the missing tip top), you just need to obtain a replacement tip top and you have a nice rod for fishing. As for value, a one-tip GD 9050 in fishable condition might be worth a couple hundred dollars.
The Phillipson is a bait-casting rod. Not sure what they are going for these days.
The Phillipson section with no reel seat is fiberglass and is just a section as far as I can tell, without any value unless someone is looking for one.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

teter wrote:
05/15/22 13:46
I'll offer some opinions, judging from the pictures. The Granger Deluxe is a desirable grade. Yours is a 9050, which indicates a 9-foot rod that weighs 5 oz. not counting the reel seat, which adds another half ounce or so. One of your tips is fractured or delaminated. It could possibly be repaired, but right now you have a one-tip rod. If the other tip is intact (other than the missing tip top), you just need to obtain a replacement tip top and you have a nice rod for fishing. As for value, a one-tip GD 9050 in fishable condition might be worth a couple hundred dollars.
The Phillipson is a bait-casting rod. Not sure what they are going for these days.
The Phillipson section with no reel seat is fiberglass and is just a section as far as I can tell, without any value unless someone is looking for one.
The last time I sold a Phillipson bait caster [ within the last 18 months without digging in my records ] in awesome shape. Non-original bag and rod case. About...$145, maybe it was $165? And there was not a scratch on it. Straight, ferrules were good etc. Was too light for my small mouth and trout float fishing, only reason I sold it. So, for what that is worth.

And...it went to Japan.

flyfishingnewbieG

I also found a granger special 5 1/2 feet similar condition as the phillipson pacemaker original case and cloth

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”